SMART Scholarship vs. Lab Funding on Campus?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
db3someone

SMART Scholarship vs. Lab Funding on Campus?

Post by db3someone »

Hello,

I have been debating whether to take the SMART Scholarship or not, as I do think it is a great deal, with the exception of it looking like it would be complicated to pursue a PhD after completing my Master's after being funded by the SMART scholarship, due to application for a follow-on or the 2 year commitment.

I have also been given an offer on campus for funding (through a graduate research assistantship) for my Master's program which is very comparable to what is offered by SMART, except the only commitment is to perform research on campus for the lab that the offer came from during my academic semesters on campus.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? If so, what did you choose and why did you decide to go that route?

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

If this helps, here is some more specific information for my situation:
Starting to pursue a Master's in Aerospace Engineering at Georgia Tech (I just received my BSAE from Georgia Tech)
The offer on campus is from the Aerospace Systems Design Lab (ASDL)

I have a feeling my selected SMART scholarship SF will either be MSIC (Missile and Space Intelligence Center) or AEDC (Arnold Engineering Development Complex).

I will note that I am interested in fluid mechanics and aerodynamics, and that the work in ASDL is mainly systems engineering focused, so the only exposure I would have to my fields of interest would be in extra course work, or there is a slight possibility that I could work on a project in the lab where I would work with those fields.

jjm390

Re: SMART Scholarship vs. Lab Funding on Campus?

Post by jjm390 »

db3someone wrote:Hello,

I have been debating whether to take the SMART Scholarship or not, as I do think it is a great deal, with the exception of it looking like it would be complicated to pursue a PhD after completing my Master's after being funded by the SMART scholarship, due to application for a follow-on or the 2 year commitment.

I have also been given an offer on campus for funding (through a graduate research assistantship) for my Master's program which is very comparable to what is offered by SMART, except the only commitment is to perform research on campus for the lab that the offer came from during my academic semesters on campus.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? If so, what did you choose and why did you decide to go that route?

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

If this helps, here is some more specific information for my situation:
Starting to pursue a Master's in Aerospace Engineering at Georgia Tech (I just received my BSAE from Georgia Tech)
The offer on campus is from the Aerospace Systems Design Lab (ASDL)

I have a feeling my selected SMART scholarship SF will either be MSIC (Missile and Space Intelligence Center) or AEDC (Arnold Engineering Development Complex).

I will note that I am interested in fluid mechanics and aerodynamics, and that the work in ASDL is mainly systems engineering focused, so the only exposure I would have to my fields of interest would be in extra course work, or there is a slight possibility that I could work on a project in the lab where I would work with those fields.

Having already completed my Master Degree, my thoughts may not be much help to you, but here goes...

I have been on a Research Assistantship for the last 3 years (through the completion of my MS), but the current funding situation has made it necessary to seek alternative sources of funding. If your intent is to complete your MS and then move on to your PhD, you may want to consider taking lab funding first, then applying for the SMART program later. If you can combine your MS with your PhD, you may want to consider that, and apply to SMART to get funding for the entire graduate program.

Having been given school funding, then having it go away due to the political climate, I see the SMART program as a very good option... and since I have been planning on working in the government sector anyway, it is a perfect fit for me. If your situation is different, the program may not be for you.

In the end, you have to make the decision based on what is best for you!

Larry_52

Re: SMART Scholarship vs. Lab Funding on Campus?

Post by Larry_52 »

Take the RA, get done what you need to do. Reach out to the labs and see if you can get on a first name basis with the likely sponsoring researchers.

Should you elect to pursue a SMART Scholarship later, having a relationship and some grad school under your belt will be very helpful in getting picked up.

YMMV,
Larry