Pre-emptive SMART Interview E-Mail Discussion

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Re: Pre-emptive SMART Interview E-Mail Discussion

Post by Guest »

So last year I applied for the scholarship as a freshman and was named a finalist and ultimately an alternate. This year my resume has only improved, my essay was better and my scholarship would only be for 2 years at a cheaper university and yet I have yet to recieve an interview. Maybe there's something wrong with the agencies I keep picking? I did pick the same agencies both years and maybe they just don't offer as many scholarships? I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong because I know of some people who recieved the scholarship last year and I was more qualified than them then and now I'm still not moving past semi-finalist status?
Any suggestions?

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:So last year I applied for the scholarship as a freshman and was named a finalist and ultimately an alternate. This year my resume has only improved, my essay was better and my scholarship would only be for 2 years at a cheaper university and yet I have yet to recieve an interview. Maybe there's something wrong with the agencies I keep picking? I did pick the same agencies both years and maybe they just don't offer as many scholarships? I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong because I know of some people who recieved the scholarship last year and I was more qualified than them then and now I'm still not moving past semi-finalist status?
Any suggestions?
I'm in the same boat, except I applied as a sophomore last year and was named an alternate.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Guest wrote:So last year I applied for the scholarship as a freshman and was named a finalist and ultimately an alternate. This year my resume has only improved, my essay was better and my scholarship would only be for 2 years at a cheaper university and yet I have yet to recieve an interview. Maybe there's something wrong with the agencies I keep picking? I did pick the same agencies both years and maybe they just don't offer as many scholarships? I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong because I know of some people who recieved the scholarship last year and I was more qualified than them then and now I'm still not moving past semi-finalist status?
Any suggestions?
It has a lot to do with choice of major and the facilities hiring needs. They may just not need someone in your degree field.

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:
Any suggestions?
I'm in the same boat, except I applied as a sophomore last year and was named an alternate.
I feel the same way. I was named alternate when I applied as a Freshmen last year. Since then I had two undergraduate research positions, I have succeeded in various high level course and have my Security Clearance.I am not trying to brag or sound arrogant, I just thought I would be an ideal candidate.

Did either of you mention your previous "Semi-Finalist" or "Alternate" status on your application this year? I only had one brief acknowledgment. If I try again next year I may highlight it a bit more.

Post by guest »

By the way ---- in case you haven't figured it out yet. The people who are getting phone interviews at this moment are those who were recommended for an award. The reason that you are getting conflicting answers during those interviews (in terms these fellows having the list of recommended people or not) is because they don't want to be bothered with too many questions!.... this comes from an inside source. In any event, you simply get recommended for an award if they have a need for someone like you, but moreover --- if they feel that you will ultimately stay with them for a longer period of time.... and hence, this is not a merit based scholarship!!! Good luck anyway!

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:By the way ---- in case you haven't figured it out yet. The people who are getting phone interviews at this moment are those who were recommended for an award. The reason that you are getting conflicting answers during those interviews (in terms these fellows having the list of recommended people or not) is because they don't want to be bothered with too many questions!.... this comes from an inside source. In any event, you simply get recommended for an award if they have a need for someone like you, but moreover --- if they feel that you will ultimately stay with them for a longer period of time.... and hence, this is not a merit based scholarship!!! Good luck anyway!
dang that sucks. looks like ill have to try again next year. are there any agency's that have yet to return their selection that we may have a glimpse of hope left for?

Post by Guest »

Anyone have any insight as to how they will narrow down the list from "400ish" to the actual finalists? It seems like at this point everyone left has very similar academic qualifications and is wanted by at least one facility.

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:Anyone have any insight as to how they will narrow down the list from "400ish" to the actual finalists? It seems like at this point everyone left has very similar academic qualifications and is wanted by at least one facility.
At this point they probably have a pecking order. PhD's, Master's, then undergrad. By the time they get to undergrad it'd be a matter of funding so it would most likely be cost to award/ importance of facility and position.

I was told that the importance of the facility to be worked for is a consideration

Post by Guest »

You're partially correct. Everything that we've submitted gets a point value, and I do mean everything. They'll start at the top and assign a facility on down the list until all slots are filled. The rest will be alternates.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Just finished my phone interview, very simple and scripted. Just yes and no questions. One thing they did ask that I believe holds a lot of value was "have you been contacted by any facilities"? I was, and she asked what the interviewers name was, so thankful I remembered. I even got to change my preferred facilities around, of course I moved the facility that interviewed me to my number 1 choice. She said they plan to make the award announcements on the 1st.

Post by Guest »

I also just had my interview late this afternoon. the rep that spoke to me also asked me if i have been contacted by any facility and i said no (although I have been in touch with them through my professor who already does research for the facility-which i did tell her) and she said that the reason they ask if anyone has been in touch is because they have been trying this year to make "better selections" for finalists and match people better and would rather the facilities speak to the candidates to get a better idea for who the applicants are, but apparently, some of the facilities were "a bit lazy" (she said exactly those words).

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Haha, the girl that interviewed me was funny as hell. She was really laid back and we chatted about me getting my wisdom teeth cut out and the movie Taken. lol

Post by Guest »

lol yea mine seemed pretty chilled too, maybe we had the same, dont remember her name though...

Post by Guest »

Does it strike anyone else as ironic that we might be getting notices on April Fools day, and most of our emails were mistakenly given out to everyone that applied? Here's hoping no one spoofs.....

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:By the way ---- in case you haven't figured it out yet. The people who are getting phone interviews at this moment are those who were recommended for an award. The reason that you are getting conflicting answers during those interviews (in terms these fellows having the list of recommended people or not) is because they don't want to be bothered with too many questions!.... this comes from an inside source. In any event, you simply get recommended for an award if they have a need for someone like you, but moreover --- if they feel that you will ultimately stay with them for a longer period of time.... and hence, this is not a merit based scholarship!!! Good luck anyway!
I wonder what criteria they use to determine which candidates will stay longer and which ones will not.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Guest wrote:
I wonder what criteria they use to determine which candidates will stay longer and which ones will not.

I would say they look at your work history. Look to see what jobs you have had and how long you stayed with the company.

Post by Guest »

Alright, I have a question. I got an interview from a facility and they wanted me for management because of my resume but I thought this was a research intensive program. None of the facilities listed has management except one of the AFB in which I listed on my application and the others were research based, so I am a little confused. Anyone with a similar problem?

Post by Guest »

Honestly I wouldn't call it a problem unless you're determined to do actual research, but they do hype the "research" aspect way more then you will actually be doing. The positions are normal DoD positions some include research as part of it, but not solely. Both the interview I received and my buddy's we for just normal "jobs" they involved some development, but mostly just want a body for a "job". As long as they're willing to put me through school and give me a job to boot I'm happy. Not to mention that once you work for the DoD it's damn near impossible to get fired.

RUchemE

Post by RUchemE »

just finished my phone interview with a SMART representative..

I must have gotten a call from the same person some of you had, a pretty laid back younger woman. I do remember her name.. idk if posting it here might be a problem so i'm just not going to. It was just a few things she had to go over that were scripted and preference of locations then i got to add anything or ask questions.

She made it clear that this is the first year facilities were supposed to call their selected people, and they pick from lists all the time, and that phone calls from a facility don't have pros or cons. So if you didn't get a call dont worry, and if you did get a call some of your facilities are on their game i guess haha.

I think i was probably one of the very last ones to get a call and we should know something around april 1st in terms of award status. Good luck everyone!

Post by Guest »

RUchemE wrote:She made it clear that this is the first year facilities were supposed to call their selected people, and they pick from lists all the time, and that phone calls from a facility don't have pros or cons. So if you didn't get a call dont worry, and if you did get a call some of your facilities are on their game i guess haha.
true, i spoke w/ a special employment representative from a major intelligence agency who told me they just looked over the smart scholarship resumes & picked their favorites. they didn't make a single phone call.

so if you didn't get a call from a facility, but got a call from the SMART office, then i'd say your chances are still just as good as any!!

but if you didn't get an interview this week from the SMART office (like me... {sigh}) then i guess we're pretty much out of the running...

RUchemE

Post by RUchemE »

Guest wrote: but if you didn't get an interview this week from the SMART office (like me... {sigh}) then i guess we're pretty much out of the running...
I'm sorry to hear that, I was told during this phone interview that ALL semi-finalists were getting phone interviews.

Post by Guest »

Maybe she meant all finalists +alternates. First the interview was too general to give them real information (unless they are doing behavior analysis). Secomd there are too many semi finalists, moreover so many that won't be getting postions, for it to be a worthwhile endeavor for them.

Post by Guest »

RUchemE wrote:
Guest wrote: but if you didn't get an interview this week from the SMART office (like me... {sigh}) then i guess we're pretty much out of the running...
I'm sorry to hear that, I was told during this phone interview that ALL semi-finalists were getting phone interviews.
Like many have said earlier these interviews are for the "selected" semi-finalists not every semi-finalist.

Post by Guest »

i emailed asking about the interviews and this is what they replied

"Thank you for your message and your patience as we continue the SMART Scholarship evaluation and selection process. Please be advised that at this time we have contacted all of the Semi-Finalists with whom the Department of Defense wanted to do a follow-up interview. However, there is the possibility of more applicants being contacted. We will let all SMART Semi-Finalists know of their final status as soon as we are directed to do so by the DoD, which we hope will be this week."

looks like we are more or less out of luck.

Post by Guest »

Man, this wait is killing me! I had a couple of interviews from different places, was named a semi-finalist, then had my interview with the SMART people literally 6 hours early. It totally threw me off... but it seemed pretty scripted but I guess it went well? She told me I'd hear by the end of last week, but of course, I didn't. Now I'm back at school from Spring Break and it doesn't help to have my family texting me every 20 minutes asking if I've heard yet! I just want to know!!!!