No phone interview request = bad sign?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
klfh1981

No phone interview request = bad sign?

Post by klfh1981 »

No word yet for phone interview - I am assuming that each facility has its own pace, but I remember reading that is is a positive sign if you receive a phone interview. Anyone with experience re this process have an insight? Thanks!

Matthew

Re: No phone interview request = bad sign?

Post by Matthew »

No call here yet either. I wouldn't call it a bad sign but definitely not good. Theres still about 2 weeks for them to call so don't lose faith just yet.

Post by guest »

Here's to hoping we get picked from the alternate list

Post by Guest »

yup i'm in the same boat, no phone call yet. trying to stay positive though, got the fingerprints done today, gave me a feeling of progress, haha. good luck to y'all

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I didn't receive my phone interview until mid March (2008) I believe.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The wait is killing me. I get home from work everyday and check for voicemails. I really want/need this scholarship.

Post by guest »

It has been my experience that scientists (especially ones in a managerial roll) tend to focus on things which have approaching deadlines as the deadlines get close. I would expect that the people responsible for doing the phone interviews probably have other things to do as well and since the interviews won't take much time, and they don't need to be done until mid to late March, I would think many of them would take care of it at that time. I haven't heard anything from anyone yet either but I'm sticking with this logic for at least the next couple of weeks. I thought it might help other people too.

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

Hey guys,

Just to let you know, I've contacted someone as ASEE, and I'm waiting to hear back on the submission deadline that the facilities have.

Chris

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Hey Chris,

I believe the deadline is around Mar 15th. Here is a quote from our semi-finalist emails.

"During this process you may be contacted by one or more DoD representatives from these agencies and may be asked to participate in an interview with the DoD facility they represent. On or about March 15, 2010, these organizations will submit to the SMART Program Office (SPO) a list of candidates they recommend for an award and post-graduation and internship placement with their facility. This year the SPO expects to receive a list of 500-600 recommended candidates. From this list, the SPO will select 250-300 for an award."

BROCKMAE

Post by BROCKMAE »

I am really anxious and excited too. Every day gone is a little bit more I worry I'm out of the running... then I remember, what in this application process has gone according to set deadlines!?

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

BROCKMAE wrote:I am really anxious and excited too. Every day gone is a little bit more I worry I'm out of the running... then I remember, what in this application process has gone according to set deadlines!?

Hahaha, yeah that should make us all feel better.
Also Chris stated that last year they were still giving out scholarships a week before orientation.

Post by guest »

I got a phone interview for tomorrow. The employee told me that his department needed to get his facility's list in by closing tomorrow, but he is probably just an arm of a larger facility

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

guest wrote:I got a phone interview for tomorrow. The employee told me that his department needed to get his facility's list in by closing tomorrow, but he is probably just an arm of a larger facility
What facility?

Post by guest »

It was NSWC, based in VA

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Cool, I wonder if anyone has gotten an award without being interviewed. I would assume that the DoD facilities would not submit someones name for an award without interviewing them. But ultimately it is Smarts decision on who receives the scholarships. So I guess its possible.

Post by Guest »

No phone interview here either,

I would imagine that the sponsors are more interested into speaking with grad/Ph.D. students.

From what I understand, our resumes gets shuffled around to various facilities. They are asked to arrange the names to meet certain criteria. They send back the ordered lists to the smart offices. Then, applicants who meet a specific threshold are thrown into the finalist/alternate pool. A convoluted algorithm picks who gets assigned to what facility, and who become alternates for each facility.

I was picked to be an alternate last year. I was only a freshmen, so don't be nervous!

BROCKMAE

Post by BROCKMAE »

At this point I'm kinda starting to think I'm out of the running. I guess there are a few more possible days for phone calls, but if lists gotta be submitted around the 15th it's coming down to the wire. Tristan said he didn't get a call until the middle of March... were list submission deadlines for the facilities the same as this years? March 15th?

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's been all week and no phone call yet, Im starting to really get worried. But hey we were at least semi-finalist and if we dont get it this year, we have a great chance next year.

Post by Guest »

Mathew, Indeed!
I haven't heard anything from them too, but there are always next time!!!

Post by Guest »

It's never completely hopeless. I got an interview from a guy that was notified about applicant applications 2 days before his deadline to get them in. I can imagine that some facilities may just blindly put names through under those circumstances.

rmw228

Post by rmw228 »

It's important to remember that there is no HR department reviewing applications and doing extensive phone interviews. The guys (and gals) who got your applications plopped onto their desks are busy people, and phone interviews for a fellowship isn't their top priority. Sit tight.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

rmw228 wrote:It's important to remember that there is no HR department reviewing applications and doing extensive phone interviews. The guys (and gals) who got your applications plopped onto their desks are busy people, and phone interviews for a fellowship isn't their top priority. Sit tight.

Yeah you're right about that. That does make me feel a bit better.

Post by Guest »

Hey,

I got two interviews already. And a 2nd interview for one of the positions tomorrow. I got the calls and emails around the end of February. I don't really know anything other than that.

Hope it helps

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Guest wrote:Hey,

I got two interviews already. And a 2nd interview for one of the positions tomorrow. I got the calls and emails around the end of February. I don't really know anything other than that.

Hope it helps
That kind of makes me feel worse. lol
What is your major and how long of a scholarship did you apply for?

Post by Guest »

Someone already alluded to this, but remember. They will care more talking to grad and phd candidates than undergrads. For UGs they may just pick blindy via gpa/resume.

That's why it would be helpful for people to write their level of education.... hint hint