No phone interview request = bad sign?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Re: No phone interview request = bad sign?

Post by Guest »

I received the same email this afternoon. It may be possible that they are trying to confirm that we are still interested in the program and understand the commitment to work for the DoD after graduation. From the Application Review Process thread on this forum...

"e) The SMART Program Office (SPO) complies these lists, resolves issues that arise when the same candidate is recommended for placement at multiple facilities, and conducts further screening to insure recommended candidates a) understand the nature of the post-graduation service commitment and b) are willing and able to comply with the terms of the service agreement."

I'm not sure how else they could conduct the "further screening" unless they contact us in some way. Considering this email was sent out on the 15th, which is apparently when the short lists were due back from the sponsoring facilities it may indicate that we are on those lists. Full disclosure: I have not had contact with anyone from a sponsoring facility either so I'm not sure what that means. Applied for 1 year as a PhD MECE.

Anyways, just another possibility.

Post by Guest »

I got the email too. There is no way they are going to interview all of us, this was likely sent out to make sure we know so we can adjust our schedules in case we have an interview. I'm so nervous!

Post by guest »

I didn't get the email, it probably means my name wasn't on any shortlists

Gues

Post by Gues »

I got the email, but didn't get any interviews from any of the sponsoring facilities... So maybe I'm on a short list?
2nd/3rd year BS MSE major.

bravefencer

Post by bravefencer »

ahh, so there is one poster that didn't get the email? So this email is selective? I assumed that they emailed all 1300ish applicants, but i guess the email is for those on the short list?

I got the email, i'm a 2nd year biosystems engineering major.

Post by guest »

guest wrote:I didn't get the email, it probably means my name wasn't on any shortlists
To add more fuel to the fire, I had two phone interviews. So either it means neither wanted me, and SF's chose you guys without interviews, or it was a bug that they missed me and it wasn't selective

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:
guest wrote:I didn't get the email, it probably means my name wasn't on any shortlists
To add more fuel to the fire, I had two phone interviews. So either it means neither wanted me, and SF's chose you guys without interviews, or it was a bug that they missed me and it wasn't selective
Well, if it was a bug that you didn't get it, then maybe you'll get a phone call on or about the 19th.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Well they said they expected to receive approximately 500-600 names from the facilities, so its possible a lot of us are on the shortlist, but with only 250-300 scholarships available I wonder how exactly they plan to make cuts. Although after my interview I suspect that number also includes alternates. I would suppose that each facility only submitted "wanted" applicants as suggested recipients and other names as alternates. So they may not have to make a lot of cuts. And if the email was selective we could either be alternates or possible award recipients. We just have to wait and see. I don't like the waiting game. I sure hope they email me Friday with an interview appointment.

klfh1981

Post by klfh1981 »

It's times like this that I feel less neurotic for checking this site every day! It feels good to know what is going on with all of you and makes it easier to have a balanced perspective of my own situation. We also got the email (I say we, because it is my husband who is the applicant but this scholarship would have a humongous effect on our family) and I am relieved as it was disappointing not to receive a facility interview. My husband is a Chemistry major, has one year of school left to graduate with his BS. In Chemistry he has a 4.0 but he was a music major for three years before switching programs and his ending gpa is around 3.85 or 3.9. He has worked in the biotech field but has had no research experience until this coming summer.

Post by guest »

Are there any other retention candidates reading the forum? If so, did you get yesterday's email? I didn't, but i know that the office put my name on the list they submitted back to SMART. I assume its because we don't need an interview if you already work for the place.

Bill

Post by Bill »

I'm a rentention candidate and have not received an email either. It makes sense that your office doesn't require a phone interview to "say hello".

Post by guest »

Ok everyone,

I e-mailed ASEE and they told me everyone was supposed to get the message yesterday. If you did not get the e-mail, send ASEE an e-mail telling them so and they will send you another copy.

A weight off my shoulders, we're still in the game

Post by Guest »

Yeah, that's the sense I got from the email, I wish it was selective ;p

I hope that I get an interview request on march 19th... It probably will be a 2 minute, "are you still interested" conversation. I don't think they are staffing enough people to have a quality conversation with everyone. That being said, if you have received a call, then you have real reason to be optimistic.

Post by guest »

I just had my phone interview. The person was very upbeat and reviewed information with me. They sounded like someone who understood the program and could answer questions, not some temp just going down a check box. They wanted to know if I had been contacted by anyone from a facility I was interested in or if a different one called. Overall it's not something to worry about. I think those being called are ones already selected and the SMART program just wants to make sure we are real and not creepy.

RUchemE

Post by RUchemE »

well i hope i passed the 'real and not creepy' test lol... on or soon after april 1st we should know the final decision... id be really anxious but i have an orgo exam sunday night and an econ exam thursday to study for haha..