Number of scholarships awarded in 2012?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
nmsciencemom

Number of scholarships awarded in 2012?

Post by nmsciencemom »

My son is looking for ways to finance his education at Rice next year (since we don't want to have to pay so much for 4 years), and we were looking into this scholarship program, which a friend of ours used at Rice and is now working for the Army (though now switched to El Paso and partly furlonged!). I saw there were about 300 or so given per year in the past, but it was less last year? How many exactly? I know the future is quite uncertain with this with the budget problems and all.

Fingers-Crossed 2

Re: Number of scholarships awarded in 2012?

Post by Fingers-Crossed 2 »

Well, I was hoping that someone that is truly knowledgeable would have answered, but since no one has, I'll just tell you what I've read from other posts. Regardless of this year's added budget concerns the amount of awards varies quite a bit depending on who you ask. I've seen some people say around 100 all the way to 400. Most people say around 250 - 350.

Take that with a grain of salt, though, as that is only based on what I've read from other posts.

Fingers-Crossed 2

Post by Fingers-Crossed 2 »

Oops, I guess I didn't really give other people a chance to post. I though this post was a couple days old, but I now see that I was looking at your user create date, rather than you post date.

Anyone, feel free to give more accurate info than I gave!

_+_+_

Post by _+_+_ »

Last year there were issues with delays and budget cuts. Previous years had about 300 applicants, but there were significantly fewer last year. This correspondence was sent to applicants last year:

Dear XXX,

This message is to inform you that you were not chosen as one of the 130 Round 1 Finalists for this year's award competition. Please note, a second round of up to 20 additional awards may be issued this month. Your application may be reconsidered for an award at that time.

Sarcasem

Post by Sarcasem »

_+_+_ wrote:Last year there were issues with delays and budget cuts. Previous years had about 300 applicants, but there were significantly fewer last year. This correspondence was sent to applicants last year:

Dear XXX,

This message is to inform you that you were not chosen as one of the 130 Round 1 Finalists for this year's award competition. Please note, a second round of up to 20 additional awards may be issued this month. Your application may be reconsidered for an award at that time.

If I may ask, when did you receive this email?

Sarcasem

Post by Sarcasem »

Sarcasem wrote:
_+_+_ wrote:Last year there were issues with delays and budget cuts. Previous years had about 300 applicants, but there were significantly fewer last year. This correspondence was sent to applicants last year:

Dear XXX,

I just re-read your post. Sorry about that. I was just wondering if anyone has received any emails like this.

Guest007

Post by Guest007 »

This was posted on SMART's Facebook page in response to a question of whether the sequestration would affect the awards.

Smart Scholarship for Service Program "We don’t have any information about the SMART Scholarship being cancelled or limited due to the current DoD budget crisis and sequestration. For the 2013 competition, the Department of Defense estimated 150 awards."
3 hours ago · Like

_+_+_

Post by _+_+_ »

Sarcasem wrote:

Dear XXX,

June 8, 2012. Awards were supposed to be announced "on or about April 9." On April 11 they told us awards would be sent out "at some point in the next few weeks." Don't be surprised if there are delays again/