A few questions about the SMART application

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
kadams0914

A few questions about the SMART application

Post by kadams0914 »

Hey guys,

I'm planning on applying to the SMART program this coming December, and I have a few questions about the application and just chances in general.

First, what is the base GPA? Is that the highest GPA that you can obtain at your school? For instance, my school has a system such that an A is a 4.0, but some teachers give A+'s which are worth 4.33. Does that mean the base GPA is 4.33? If so, it make my GPA look bad because I've not had many teachers that give A+'s.

Second, is there a way to find in depth information about a facility and what type of work they do there? I want to make sure I'm matching the facilities I pick as my top three to what I'm actually interested in doing. I'm a computer science major focusing in computational biology and computational chemistry. Does anyone know of any sponsoring facilities that would do work in either of those fields?

Third, I am considering doing a join bachelor's/master's program, but I haven't decided whether I will yet. Would you recommend that I put the joint program on my application, and then try to change to the shorter one later, or put the shorter program on my app and switch to the joint program if I decide to do that later?

Now, the stats and chances section:

School: Rice University
Year: Sophomore
Major: Computer Science
Minor: Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Computational and Applied Mathematics
GPA: Computer Science - 4.03
Total GPA - 4.02
Experience: Worked in a computational biology lab the summer after my freshman year. No publications or anything.
References: One from my research professor, a Guggenheim Fellow and recipient of many other prestigious awards.
Possibly one from my chemistry professor named "One of the Top 10 Chemists of the Decade" from 2000-2010.

Thanks

fish_

Re: A few questions about the SMART application

Post by fish_ »

@kadams0914, here is my two cents:
- you put whatever GPA is on your official transcript.
- use searchmil.com, and enter your field in the search box to see if there are any hits. match those facilities against those listed as participating in SMART
- considering the federal budget, i'd go with the shorter one
- give your references plenty of notice, and make sure that you have an extra one ready in case one of your primary ones doesn't come through

Guest_recip

Post by Guest_recip »

fish_ wrote:@kadams0914, here is my two cents:
- considering the federal budget, i'd go with the shorter one
This logic might not hold true. They could actually prefer longer awards, as that has a guaranteed longer time in service due to the commitment, and probably leads more often to long term retention.

Just something to consider.

kadams0914

Post by kadams0914 »

I emailed the program with the question about the degree program. They said that, since I won't be accepted into the program until after I apply, that I have to apply with the Bachelor's program on my application and then apply for an extension later.

RPI CSE

Post by RPI CSE »

kadams0914 wrote:I emailed the program with the question about the degree program. They said that, since I won't be accepted into the program until after I apply, that I have to apply with the Bachelor's program on my application and then apply for an extension later.
I think someone gave you incorrect information, or the rules have changed. I applied for funding for a dual BS/MEng and I was able to put in the application itself that I have not yet been accepted into the program. I was accepted with the understanding that if I did not get accepted into the BS/MEng program that I could be dropped from the program.

It is much more trouble than it is worth to try and get an award changed, figure out if you really want both degrees and apply based on what you figure out. It is more school getting paid for, which is great, but it is also more time at your facility which you aren't guaranteed to like. Personally I am happy at my facility, but the extra year is going to be a long time if I begin not enjoying myself.

It is always good to check with the program for specifics on the rules, but historically the people running the program haven't necessarily had all of the information. I would take a look at the application, try to set your degree to the dual degree, and see if there is an option to put when you would be accepted into the program, that's what had to do.

Good luck!