multiple phone interviews?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
anitsirk

multiple phone interviews?

Post by anitsirk »

I got a call today for a phone interview since I'm a semi-finalist, but I was wondering if I'll get several offers or just the one? It's not in my preferred location so I don't know whether I should hold out or go ahead and take the interview.

BROCKMAE

Re: multiple phone interviews?

Post by BROCKMAE »

dude i hope anyone calls me. which location called you and what are you in school for?

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Has anyone else gotten a call yet? I haven't and also haven't received the SF-87 forms yet.

Hohn

Post by Hohn »

Matthew, I haven't been contacted for any interviews, and I haven't gotten my SF-87 yet. They said the SF-87s could take until the 26th to arrive, so hopefully it'll come by Friday.

anitsirk, I'm guessing you can get several offers, it just depends on how many of the facilities would be interested in having you work there.

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

Unless you tell them, bases are unaware of anyone else who may have contacted you. You should definitely accept any interviews that are offered.

Multiple bases are allowed to submit your name for final selection, and the placement decision will be yours unless one of them decides to back out. If you get lucky, they're allowed to bid over you.

Post by guest »

Hohn wrote:Matthew, I haven't been contacted for any interviews, and I haven't gotten my SF-87 yet. They said the SF-87s could take until the 26th to arrive, so hopefully it'll come by Friday.

anitsirk, I'm guessing you can get several offers, it just depends on how many of the facilities would be interested in having you work there.
if the SF-87's take up to the 26th to arrive, are they still due by the 28th??

bravefencer

Post by bravefencer »

hey just wanted to let you guys know i got my fingerprint id card yesterday in the mail.

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

guest wrote:
if the SF-87's take up to the 26th to arrive, are they still due by the 28th??
UF_ME said that the date has been changed to March 12th.

rmw228

Post by rmw228 »

Chris,

That's the due date. They will arrive in your mailbox by Feb. 26. If they don't I suggest you call the ASEE office.

rmw228

Post by rmw228 »

Oops, Chris. Didn't read all the posts.

Post by Guest »

Chris Moulder wrote:............Multiple bases are allowed to submit your name for final selection, and the placement decision will be yours unless one of them decides to back out. If you get lucky, they're allowed to bid over you.
That's very cool...I wish I knew about this bidding business. Since USACE has many districts I got panel interviewed by all these different chiefs who were all in DC not at home so it seemed like an all day event. I hope I have a high reserve price...

Got my SF-87s two days ago per these discussions - doing them with my security officer at work in 20 mins - the town cops want 10 for the first card and 5 for add'l. nominal fees but free is free.

Post by Guest »

Same guest as above...I got a full 46,200 financial package from Berkeley which only includes like 4000 in a one semester 10 hr/week TAship but the rest is all grants. They hinted that they would extend this support to phD if I wanted/qualified. Besides the tuition and fee grants though, there's only a 14000 cash stipend.

So as far as cash goes, SMART is much more. Further SMART offers a cool job afterwards without the stress of looking, plus i'm more keen on getting my PE through my job experience and then going off to law school and getting my JD. Comments?

Post by Guest »

JD? what do you want to be, a patent attorney?

Post by guest »

Who else has received a phone interview? Does the fact that I haven't yet mean I probably am not going through?

bravefencer

Post by bravefencer »

i was wondering the same, if we dont' receive phone interviews is that mean that they're not interested in us.

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:Who else has received a phone interview? Does the fact that I haven't yet mean I probably am not going through?
There's a discussion about this in the "No phone interview request = bad sign?". It basically boils down to "don't lose hope yet as the institutions may still be going through the applications."

Post by Guest »

If you want to be a patient attorney you might want to work for the patient office after you do your PhD. They pay for law school if you go part-time up to any amount from what I heard from them at the job fair. Also, after three years you can work from anywhere.

former patent examiner

Post by former patent examiner »

Recruiters at the Patent & Trademark Office say whatever it takes to get you in the door. They will pay for classes when their budget allows. The part-time law program has been suspended for about a year now, but that's not to say it won't be back in the future. As for working from "anywhere," that's also only partially true. Currently, you have to report to the Alexandria office a minimum of 2 times a month. And of course, all the benefits are contigent on making the quotas. If you want to be a patent attorney, you should really look at law firms. The PTO will only make you disgruntled about the patent system.