Average Age

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Old DOD

Average Age

Post by Old DOD »

I'm probably a bit older than some of the applicants to the SMART scholarship. Just wondering if there are many others that are past 30 years old applying. I'm 32 and currently a DOD employee and plan to apply for next years award for grad school. Too old, you think?

Smart-Applicant

Re: Average Age

Post by Smart-Applicant »

Probably not. I'm 27 going on 28. I imagine that probably would put you in the upper tier of age groups but I think that brings maturity, or so is my rationale. Life experience has something to offer, too. Then again, I have never applied for one of these. I am doing a career change (economy) and going back to school and studying this field. So who knows. Can't hurt to try, ay?

COOG

Post by COOG »

I applied and am 33, turning 34 in October. I only have one year of grad school to go so I think your age is fine. Most people are a little older if they are in graduate school.

Smart-Applicant

Post by Smart-Applicant »

Coog,

It depends, but I assume most graduates are older. I mean one could technically be 21 or 22 and be a graduate. Well, they could be doing a five year course of study that combines their bachelor and master's into one. Likewise, if they are doing the two separately, then they could have finished their 4 year at 21, assuming they started at seventeen. Granted, I think most graduates will be around late 20s or early 30s though. However, this may not be the case. It would be interesting to see the age range and it broken down, to say the least. For me, this is my second Master's degree. I completed my first a few years back, and here I am on my second. A different career field none the less, but I am hoping the two will compliment the other. We shall see. Either way, I think the age is a good thing. Even if 60-75 percent of applicants at the graduate level are between 22 and 26, you, Old DOD, and myself would fall outside this range. As they say, age might be just a number, but with it comes having had the chance to see more. So who knows. Be Optimistic. I would love to be chosen, as the rest of the people here, but we will have to wait and see where we end up. With 3400 people who applied, its about a 1 in 10 chance. So either way, if we make it sounds great. If not, we discovered the wonderful art of filling out paperwork!