obligated to work after finishing? Is grad school possible?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
MrPickles

obligated to work after finishing? Is grad school possible?

Post by MrPickles »

Hello,

I'm thinking of applying to this fellowship but I'm not sure if it's for me. I will be a first year Master's student in 2012. I'm considering doing a PhD right after I finish my Master's. Does this fellowship allow recipients to go on to pursue a PhD soon after completing their degrees or is a recipient of this fellowship obligated to work for the DoD firstly and only THEN able to apply to a PhD program? I'm sorry if this question has been answered somewhere already but I can't find it. Thank you for any responses and good luck to everyone.

empty

Re: obligated to work after finishing? Is grad school possib

Post by empty »

It is a very valid question. The answer is "it depends".

Once you've signed the contract you are obligated to work for them once you complete the degree schedule they have funded (ie. if your program is a MS/PhD program in combo you're fine from the get-go). So if they fund a Master's they are under no obligation to let you out of that contract. HOWEVER, I will say that most facilities do endorse their people furthering their education as long as it is to their benefit. So, I know people who have gotten their master's through the program and then gotten SMART to also fund their PhD directly afterward. Contractually, they can make you start work right after your Master's.

Does that make sense? My suggestion is to apply and if selected, talk with your point of contact about your plans and see how they fit in with what they would want from you.

MrPickles

Post by MrPickles »

That makes perfect sense and thank you for the response.

empty2

Post by empty2 »

Mr Pickles, I would do what empty has said, but make sure you get any stated agreement in writing prior to signing the participant service agreement.

Make sure the SMART Program Office knows that you have struck this agreement as well (send them the written, signed agreement). Don't wait until you want to start your next degree to be told "well, we're not going to do that after all... enjoy your service commitment, adios!"

Post by Guest »

empty2 wrote:Mr Pickles, I would do what empty has said, but make sure you get any stated agreement in writing prior to signing the participant service agreement.

Make sure the SMART Program Office knows that you have struck this agreement as well (send them the written, signed agreement). Don't wait until you want to start your next degree to be told "well, we're not going to do that after all... enjoy your service commitment, adios!"
There is a process for follow-on awards that is well described in the handbook. You will definetly have it all in writing when you sign the new award contract.

Guest2

Post by Guest2 »

Guest wrote:There is a process for follow-on awards that is well described in the handbook. You will definetly have it all in writing when you sign the new award contract.
The SMART process is documented, however, if you sign onto your initial award based on a handshake with your SF that you will be allowed to go to grad school immediately after finishing your BS, you could be in for a world of hurt. In the SMART Program, the SF is king. And they are held to VERY few requirements in their requests of the SMART Program. It would be very easy for them to change their mind, say they would like to hire you at a BS level, and ruin your graduate school plans. The SMART Program will side with the SF in this case.