Undergrad GPA from 7 years ago was below 3.0

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
NBdail

Undergrad GPA from 7 years ago was below 3.0

Post by NBdail »

Hi there! I am starting grad school in the fall and am interested in applying for SMART, but my undergrad GPA was below a 3.0 (this was from 7 years ago). Since graduating I have been working in the biotech industry and have taken some classes that have boosted my cumulative GPA higher, but still below a 3.0 :( My question is: do I have a chance at getting this, or am I not even allowed to apply? Has anyone received this award with a GPA lower than 3.0? Thank you!

Re: Undergrad GPA from 7 years ago was below 3.0

Post by Guest »

I would email the SMART Program directly and ask them if you would be eligible. I believe that their email can be found on the website. In terms of how competitive your application would be, I’m not so sure. The scholarship itself is fairly competitive. The average GPA of recipients hovers around 3.7-3.8, with the minimum being 3.0.

Of course, there is no harm in applying. If they say that you are eligible, I would definitely apply. They consider more than GPA.