2022 Semifinalists

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
phdhopeful2021

2022 Semifinalists

Post by phdhopeful2021 »

Holy shit I got the email!!!! 8:46am today

opstarfish

Re: 2022 Semifinalists

Post by opstarfish »

I just got the email as well, but no sponsoring facilities were tagged in the signature as the email would suggest. Any ideas what that means?

Post by Guest »

opstarfish wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:40 am
I just got the email as well, but no sponsoring facilities were tagged in the signature as the email would suggest. Any ideas what that means?
I think that just means you can tag them in their socials.

wysdem

Post by wysdem »

Semi-finalist checking in! Woot woot
Non-traditional Student - Industrial Engineering Major at a State University
GPA - 3.95

anthonyk

Post by anthonyk »

opstarfish wrote:
Are sponsoring facilities supposed to be in the email signature? I’m a Semifinalist as well, and the only account in the signature to my email was smart@smartscholarship.org.

Anonymous2022_

Post by Anonymous2022_ »

anthonyk wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:14 pm
opstarfish wrote:
Are sponsoring facilities supposed to be in the email signature? I’m a Semifinalist as well, and the only account in the signature to my email was smart@smartscholarship.org.
No, the email was just saying that contact with a sponsor facility (ie email, interview, etc) does not guarantee an award. Congrats!

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

opstarfish wrote:
"We encourage you to share this wonderful news with your academic institution, reference letter providers, and connections on social media, tagging the SMART Program accounts linked in the signature of this email!"

What this means is that you can tag SMART in any of the various social media platforms - NOT the sponsoring facilities as they most likely haven't even looked at your application yet
Applicant
GPA: 3.8
Pursuing: BS in Information Technology w/ SysAdmin & CyberSec Concentration

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

Semi-finalist 😬😬😬 Got the email at 0839!!

I applied last year and originally didn't make the cut buuuut ended up a semi-finalist as second-chancer.

So if you didn't make it it in the first round of emails, there's still hope!
Applicant

Post by Guest »

Has anyone been contacted about doing an interview yet? Just wondering what's going on with other people

anthonyk

Post by anthonyk »

I haven’t been contacted yet. I don’t think you should worry if you aren’t contacted. I’ve met several people who didn’t do an interview but still were chosen as finalists.

aqzws

Post by aqzws »

anthonyk wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:34 am
I haven’t been contacted yet. I don’t think you should worry if you aren’t contacted. I’ve met several people who didn’t do an interview but still were chosen as finalists.
I wonder if they previously interned at that facility so they already built the rapport? It would seem strange to me for a facility to select someone with no previous experience or encounter with them.

anthonyk

Post by anthonyk »

aqzws wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:40 am
anthonyk wrote:
I wonder if they previously interned at that facility so they already built the rapport? It would seem strange to me for a facility to select someone with no previous experience or encounter with them.
Yeah, that may be the reason. Incidentally, I have actually interned at my second choice facility. My point of contact there told me that he selected me as his first choice. I’m not sure what else is involved in the selection process at that facility, but even with this, I don’t believe it is guaranteed that I will get an offer. It seems that there are a lot of moving parts…

aqzws

Post by aqzws »

anthonyk wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:15 pm
aqzws wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:40 am
anthonyk wrote:
Yeah, that may be the reason. Incidentally, I have actually interned at my second choice facility. My point of contact there told me that he selected me as his first choice. I’m not sure what else is involved in the selection process at that facility, but even with this, I don’t believe it is guaranteed that I will get an offer. It seems that there are a lot of moving parts…

I'm in the same boat. I interned with my top choice and now they are looking into their facilities review process. I'm currently trying to figure out what goes on behind the scenes during this time at the SF so if I find something out I'll let you know.

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

Guest wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:32 pm
Has anyone been contacted about doing an interview yet? Just wondering what's going on with other people
No, but last year I got an interview around two weeks after the first round of cuts. So I'm assuming the same time frame applies. 🤔
Applicant

jinjaninja124

Post by jinjaninja124 »

Aye, let's go. I'm a semi-finalist.

Does anyone know how many people applied or how many have been selected as semi-finalists? just curious

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

jinjaninja124 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:43 pm

Does anyone know how many people applied or how many have been selected as semi-finalists? just curious
I doubt the stats are out yet. But. You can kinda math out how many people apply based on stats from last year. 2021 - 416 people were awarded the scholarship, which is about 17% of applicants.
Applicant

laj_5537

Post by laj_5537 »

jinjaninja124 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:43 pm

I think percentage-wise, 50% of applicants make it as a semi-finalist.