Interest in Biological and Chemical Defense Research

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
cmont4

Interest in Biological and Chemical Defense Research

Post by cmont4 »

Hi! I am very interested in biological and chemical defense research I put my preferences down as:
1. USAMRIID - Fort Detrick, MD
2. USAMRICD - Fort Detrick, MD
3. Defense Threat Reduction Agency - Fort Belvoir, VA

Has anyone with these interests received this scholarship? Any other suggestions of places to look in to?

Thanks!

Guest_

Re: Interest in Biological and Chemical Defense Research

Post by Guest_ »

Last year i applied as an undergraduate sophomore getting a bs in biochemistry (would've been a 2-year award). made it to the semifinals (where they send out your application to the various bases) but didnt get the scholarship.

When they gave out the awards last year, i took note of the fact that there were hardly any (at least on the forums) biology/chemistry students that received it. The ones that did were all had phd's, from what I could remember. Otherwise it's all engineers... which makes sense, considering the needs of our military.

If anyone thinks I am wrong obviously you can post your experience... this was just mine. That being said, I am going to apply again this year since I figure it can't hurt, haha... eventually they'll need someone in life sciences or chemistry.

cmont4

Re: Interest in Biological and Chemical Defense Research

Post by cmont4 »

Ok thanks! I am a sophomore pursuing my BS in biochemistry as well. This is my first time applying for the SMART, so I really hope I get it.

Any advice for the application?