Male/Female Ratio and Chances for Each

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
cmont3

Male/Female Ratio and Chances for Each

Post by cmont3 »

HI! I'm a sophomore Biochemistry major with minors in Mathematics and Environmental Studies. I'm in the process of applying for the SMART.

Does any one know what the male/female ratio is for the scholarship? I have always been interested in Chemical and Biological Defense and from the people I've spoken to, it seems that most of the researchers are male. Will being a girl help my chances?

empty

Re: Male/Female Ratio and Chances for Each

Post by empty »

I'm sure that its an "equal opportunity" kind of thing. That said, from attending the orientation I would say that the selection process is gender and ethnicity blind and that the makeup of people is 50/50 in regards to gender.

The goal of the program is to have the best people working in the DoD positions, not necessarily to increase the gender/ethnic 'diversity' of the DoD.

fish

Post by fish »

some facilties m may have diversity goals, which means that a female may have a better chance.

empty

Post by empty »

This is quite true. Though, it didn't sound to me like the facilities got much more than the resume after the first SMART administrative cut was made. I could be wrong and it may just be that that is all my facility actually looked at to make the decision.

I also heard from a few people on the panel which decided the 50% cut that that a big difference maker was resume quality as well. People, have your career services people at your school look over your resume before you hit 'submit'!

Current Participant

Post by Current Participant »

JUST APPLY!! Your qualifications are what get you in. Don't worry about your "odds".