Sometimes I wonder......

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
chemEdee

Sometimes I wonder......

Post by chemEdee »

Sometimes I wonder how many people actually get the scholarship when they apply freshman year... It seems like most freshmen get alternate or don't get it at all. I'm willing to put an ENORMOUS amount of effort into this...the best I've got...but I'm still not sure it will be enough. PLEASE share any experiences applying for SMART as a freshman. Any feedback on this subject will be highly appreciated!

EbertandRoper

Re: Sometimes I wonder......

Post by EbertandRoper »

Have some confidence! If you don't get it at first, try again next year. The worst that can happen is you get more experience with the application process.

I received an award when I applied during my junior year, so I can't offer much advice for a freshman in college. Just work hard, get involved, and let everything else work itself out. Best of Luck!

chemEdee

Post by chemEdee »

Thank-you for the encouragement! :)

Post by Guest »

chemEdee wrote:Sometimes I wonder how many people actually get the scholarship when they apply freshman year... It seems like most freshmen get alternate or don't get it at all. I'm willing to put an ENORMOUS amount of effort into this...the best I've got...but I'm still not sure it will be enough. PLEASE share any experiences applying for SMART as a freshman. Any feedback on this subject will be highly appreciated!
I'm gearing myself up again for the application process. This year will be my fourth attempt.

very respectfully,
And all the best

fish

Post by fish »

you have a better chance at getting the SMART scholarship than winning the lottery. keep trying.

Take3

Post by Take3 »

Year 3 for me. Got my GPA up by 0.1 over LY, another year of research under my belt, a couple more scholarships and awards to claim, and I'm working towards getting another paper ready that will hopefully get accepted before the deadline. Plus I have two solid references and I'm developing a stellar third, though I do have some backups in case.
Not to mention that I'm 1 year of funding cheaper.

Here's to hoping that the third time is the charm.

Best of luck, everyone!

chemEdee

Post by chemEdee »

Thanks! Best of luck to you too!

Post by Guest »

In the end, the people that pick you are the sponsoring facilities. If you can develop a contact at an SF - that's the biggest plus to your application. The 50% cut is cake. Being selected is what's tough.

chemEdee

Post by chemEdee »

Thanks. I guess I'll have to look into that.