[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Unofficial SMART Scholarship Forum • View topic - Questions...

Questions...

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Questions...

Postby Apollo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Hi. I have two questions:

a) Are online graduate programs eligible for the grant?

b) Can the internship be substituted with extra courses? Which is the procedure/requirements?

Thank you!
Apollo

Re: Questions...

Postby JDetwiler » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:25 pm

a) Most likely, yes. They mostly care whether you're a full-time student in a STEM degree program. However, they also stick fast on their 5 year funding cap. If you're thinking about getting a PhD, I don't recommend this program.

b) No. You're required to work for a Sponsoring Facility during the summers. They won't hold you back from taking summer classes though; it just won't be funded by them.
I'm a Phase 1 recipient graduating Dec. 2019 with degrees in Computer Science and Math from Virginia Tech. I've been with SMART since May 2017, and Dahlgren is my SF.

Don't walk, run away from SMART (see my first post on this forum).
JDetwiler

Postby Apollo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:21 pm

Apollo

Postby JDetwiler » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:21 am

What they're really telling you is that there's few reasons they'd waive your internship. Not having a clearance in time is about the only reason, bar a few related to family or medical emergencies. This is a scholarship-for-service program. They pay you, you pay them (with work). If you're looking at this as a full scholarship, look at it more like a contract into being a paid indentured servant. I'm sorry, but you can't waive the internship to take more classes. SMART insists that they come first over school.

You could ask that question directly to them though if you're still curious or skeptical of my bias: smart@smartscholarship.org
I'm a Phase 1 recipient graduating Dec. 2019 with degrees in Computer Science and Math from Virginia Tech. I've been with SMART since May 2017, and Dahlgren is my SF.

Don't walk, run away from SMART (see my first post on this forum).
JDetwiler

Return to General Questions and the Application