Biosciences

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
mdh2

Biosciences

Post by mdh2 »

It looks like most of the awards went to engineers. Did anyone in the biosciences get awarded?

Re: Biosciences

Post by Guest »

Not that I can see so far. I am a hybrid in the sense that I am a bioengineering PhD. student with an emphasis towards the neural/electrical side and was not selected.

Post by Guest »

Yeah that or computer science people. I was Biology and got rejected :/ but to be fair I'm only a freshman

Post by Guest »

Yea, majoring in Biochem and didn't get it either :\

mdh2

Post by mdh2 »

Yeah, Im ok with being rejected but I do not know how I will feel if NO Bioscience or even chemistry awards are made this year...

(JR Biology/Chemistry)

neural432

Post by neural432 »

I know, right? I also got the boot! I hope they at least accept some of us off the list. I kind of see it as being an "alternate" rather than flat out rejection *eternally optimistic* what were some of your site choices? Mine was Edgewood

mcg13

Post by mcg13 »

I'm also bioengineering and didn't get it. My top was Ft Detrick.

Jessley

Post by Jessley »

I'm also in the same boat- Ph.D. in chemistry requesting two years of funding and was not selected- Ft. Belvoir was my top pick

shawny5987

Post by shawny5987 »

PhD Chemical Engineering with a heavy focus on molecular biology. Didnt get it either. I really want to know what JackieT's (who got edgewood) background is, but it seems that the admin closed that thread

SmartApplicant10

Post by SmartApplicant10 »

sophomore in biomedical engineering requesting 2 years of funding and didn't receive it.

Top choice was USAMRID.

I feel a little better knowing that not too many bioscience people received it.

flordearcoiris

Post by flordearcoiris »

I didn't get it either. I'm a biology major, requested 2.5 yrs and my top pick was USAMRIID.

Post by Guest »

Biochemistry major, applied as chemistry (thinking I should do biosciences in the future)... I did not get it as well.

This is interesting, haha... I'm sure theres somebody who got one, though.

Post by Guest »

Graduate Neuroscience major, did not get it

Post by Guest »

PhD chemistry requesting 2 years funding and talked with a facility, no offer.

Best to remain hopeful...

Post by Guest »

Is there anyone else in the biosciences going into a public health field? Im going into epidemiology but I was a chemistry major in undergrad.

Post by Guest »

Awarded for bio sciences, going for PhD in ecology, infectious disease research.

micro girl

Post by micro girl »

Guest wrote:Awarded for bio sciences, going for PhD in ecology, infectious disease research.
what facility did you get? were you a 1st round awardee?