Official Email Recieved 2011

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
mmm72392

Re: Official Email Recieved 2011

Post by mmm72392 »

I know it's a little late, but I figured I would go ahead and post. I got the email that I did not receive the award, so I wasn't in too much of a hurry to come back to this site (I didn't see the email until the next day, also).

Initials: M.M.M.
Time received: 5:06 p.m. April 1st
Major: B.S.E.E.
Year: Freshman
School: Virginia Tech
Agencies:
  • NRO- Chantilly, VA
    DISA- Arlington, VA
    NGA- Bethesda, MD
On the bright side, I just got a summer internship with the US Army Corps of Engineers! Thanks everyone for the helpful information, and congratulations to those who received it! I guess I'll see some of you back on the site next year...

calmlyAnxious

Post by calmlyAnxious »

PSU wrote:Just wanted to put forward my disappointment with this whole process. As I posted before, it is frustrating to see that a scholarship meant to award the best and brightest of our generation with an opportunity to work for our country is awarded to only a select few majors. Also, as I have seen on this board and discussed with other individuals I know personally, if you know someone, you are more likely to get an award than if you don't. This system is flawed and should be completely shut down until it is fixed and becomes unbiased.

Here are my credentials
GPA: 3.94
University: Penn State
Major: BS Chemical Engineering; BS Energy Engineering; Minor Chemistry
Experiences: Member of a lab group, teaching assistant and various other tutor positions
Requested only one year as I am to be entering my senior year.

It's unfortunate that you did not get an award, my guess is that there wasn't as many Chem E positions to fill. This is not the NFL draft where you take the best player available in the first round, they have to fill holes of need. It is not a reward because you are smart, it's only a reward if you are smart and they currently need your skills. I'm not sure how past years #'s were broken down but I feel fairly confident that they fluctuated and that fluctuation was due to need. Unfortunately your timing did not line up with the DoD needs, this is something that happens all the time in life.

I'm not sure if you got an interview with anybody, but basically each participating facility submitted their desired names based on that installations needs. Those installations send in their list in a ranked order to the SMART office. The budget limit is used to determine which candidates make the cut. So basically if there isn't a demand for Chem E students, there could technically be zero selected. Frankly, candidates are selected on the need of the installations and not by some predetermined requirements of the SMART program office.

dfrancis3

Post by dfrancis3 »

calmslyAnxious wrote:
dafix wrote:I got it! 5:05pm
Last name: T

Tinker AFB,
B.S.E.E.
Looks like we'll be going to Tinker together.

I'm BS/MS EE
Did you gentlemen have a lot of experience in the field of EE at the time you applied?