Asking for funding for a 9th school semester

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Lindsay

Asking for funding for a 9th school semester

Post by Lindsay »

I am planning to apply to SMART this coming fall, and I was wondering if anyone could help me...?

I am going to be a junior in Industrial and Systems Engineering at the end of this summer, and am planning to ask for 2 years worth of funding (junior and senior years of BS degree). I am also currently a alternating co-op student, and am set on the 5-year graduation plan if I co-op 4 semesters. However, If I am fortunate enough to get a SMART scholarship for 2012, I will complete my co-op that summer having worked 3 terms...which sets me at completing my 8th semester of school after the fall. BUT, I can't graduate in 4 and a half years, because I have to take a spring-only, senior-only design course in order to finish my ISE degree...

Do you think I will need to clarify this situation on my application, or with the program office? Since I will only have one class left to obtain my BS that spring, I would need to take 3-4 other classes not contributing to the completion of the funded degree to have a full schedule. I would plan to take a few mechanical/aerospace classes that are pre-requisite courses for the MSE degree I hope to pursue later down the road.

On a side note, I noticed that most people posting on this forum are applying as mechanical/aerospace/electrical engineers or bio/computer science majors! Are there any other ISE's or SE's applying for this program!?

Thanks!

Re: Asking for funding for a 9th school semester

Post by guest »

I am no expert, but my advice would be to not overload them with minor details. They get 3,000 plus applications. Apply for the scholarship and if you are lucky enough to get it (about 10% probability on average), then ask about details like that later.