On Pre-emptive SMART Discussion:

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
flordearcoiris

On Pre-emptive SMART Discussion:

Post by flordearcoiris »

Thanks for posting the whole thread from last year. I just wanted to post this so that people don't get confused and they realize it was from last year. I started reading it anxiously and then finally saw the date. It confused me for a little while.

Anxiously waiting....

microgirl

Re: On Pre-emptive SMART Discussion:

Post by microgirl »

Has anyone else heard back from SMART/ASEE either regarding an interview this week or making it to the finalist stage?

Post by Guest »

I had an interview 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting back from SMART/ASEE this week for the final interview.

Jefff

Post by Jefff »

flordearcoiris: Thanks for posting this message. I fell prey to the same confusion.

I have not yet heard about an interview, but this week is supposed to be SPO interview time. Evaluation #4 has been going on for nearly a week now and ends a week from today, so either the SPO is behind on their interviewing or nobody has shared their experiences with us (http://smart.asee.org/apply_/faq/application_timeline).

I guess the prevailing message from last year is to just wait and see, and try to not get too upset about anything.

If anybody who applied in a previous year eventually got any insight to when/why/whether the SPO conducts their interviews, we would all like to hear it.

fish

Post by fish »

i thought this was the timeline: http://smart.asee.org/about/events

Post by Guest »

either way, phone calls from smart are supposed to be coming this week. if no one has posted they have received one i wouldnt be too worried.

Ian C

Post by Ian C »

All,

I too just spent 20 minutes reading last years posts. I got super worried because Hanscom already informed me that I was their top BSEE choice, how could I have not received an email?! Then I caught the date and calmed down.

I just emailed my contact at Hanscom:

"You won't be receiving an email from SMART. Each installation competing
for SMART scholars submitted our "by name" requests last week. This
week, representatives from the Army, Navy, Air Force and a few other DOD
units are in California identifying the selectees. The only letter (or
email) applicants will receive by April 1 will state that you were or
were not selected."

So sit tight. No more work to do until you receive/don't receive an award.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I appologize for all the confusion... I thought it woudl be good for every body to review what the time frame was last year. As with everything different it seems that it has changed again this year.

Anyway... it is probably a goo idea to look at the thread created date on the first page to see when it started aspecially the ones that are many pages long.

Again sorry!

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

I received an email from the smart office today. They asked what facilities had contacted me and which one would prefer.

Post by guest »

I emailed the Program Office to see if they were planning on conducting interviews and got the following response.

"At this time, we are not conducting the interviews. ASEE is working to make the correction to the website to avoid further confusion. Selections are occurring this week and you may be contacted by a facility regarding the potential of an award. Please understand that only official notification via email from smart@asee.org is official notification of receiving an award. The anticipated date for selections is within the first week of April. "

I replied with a few questions to try and clarify the statement that they are not currently interviewing and got the folling response.

"Thank you for the follow up, I am happy to clarify.

Sponsoring Facilities are making their selections. The SMART Program encourages all facilities to conduct interviews with potential selections, however, this is not mandatory. You may receive a call from a facility to simply clarify information on your application. The SMART Program Office decided not to conduct phone interviews this year, which again, ASEE working to take off the website. "

I got these replies about a half hour ago.

Good luck to all.

Mark T

Post by Mark T »

In response to the guest comment just above, that to me is huge news! Here I am checking my inbox and my phone a little more than I should (based on last years precedent and the timeline on their site) only for them to say now that they are not doing interviews?

I really think they should have sent a mass email about that change. If I read the timeline on the SMART site and not your post, I would be thinking I was completely looked over!

Thanks for sharing!

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

It is not over yet!

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

I am going to wait for the e-mail from ASEE to confirm what I was told on Friday...

Good luck to all of you!

Post by Guest »

That is interesting information that ASEE is not conducting interviews. It sounds like not too much is going to happen for most semi-finalists until April.

J_M_S

Post by J_M_S »

Mark T wrote:In response to the guest comment just above, that to me is huge news! Here I am checking my inbox and my phone a little more than I should (based on last years precedent and the timeline on their site) only for them to say now that they are not doing interviews?

I really think they should have sent a mass email about that change. If I read the timeline on the SMART site and not your post, I would be thinking I was completely looked over!

Thanks for sharing!
Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. You'll hear something from them when you get the e-mail or phone call. Frustrating? Yes. Going to change? No. :D

fish

Post by fish »

there probably wasn't much value in the SPO interviews since you would get an official offer in an email. they shouldn't be second-guessing the SFs' selections. the SPO does add value if more than one SF is interested in an applicant, they act as the go-between.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Recieved an email and a phone call yesterday (by a DoD SMART scholarship liaison) asking:
"If you were chosen by two facilities; which would you choose?"
I told them my choice; but also said without more knowledge on my choices, I couldn't really give them a definate answer. It was strange because they asked me if I was contacted by different facilities-- which I was. But, why would they call to ask my preferences and then ask if I was contacted by diffrent facilities? I was left with a feeling that no one really knows anymore than we do; either that or they do not want to give any "hints" away.
They made it very clear that everything was up in the air. I asked if we would get notification by the first, and he said it might take them longer than that, and to be patient-- they have a lot of work to do-- but within the first week of April for sure. I have to say, don't know if I will make it through THIS week.
I asked more about the process and the liaison replied that they were making thier choices and we would know as soon as possible after the first. So, YES-- turn your phones on!

microgirl

Post by microgirl »

Guest1 wrote:They made it very clear that everything was up in the air. I asked if we would get notification by the first, and he said it might take them longer than that, and to be patient-- they have a lot of work to do-- but within the first week of April for sure. I have to say, don't know if I will make it through THIS week.
agreed! :{