2011 Finalists

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
jramcam

2011 Finalists

Post by jramcam »

I got a phone call today at 12:04 PM CST from Washington, DC to inform me that I have been selected as a recipient for the scholarship! I will be working for USACE Southwestern Division Tulsa District and I am very excited to work there since I will be involved in dam repair and rehabilitation projects. I should mention that I did not list this sponsoring facility on my preferences, my top picks were also with the Corps but with their Engineer Research & Development Centers in Vicksburg, MS, Champaign, IL, and Alexandria, VA.

Good luck to all of you!

Jim M

Re: 2011 Finalists

Post by Jim M »

Last year phone calls were made alphebetical... Lets try to keep track

What are your fist and last initials?
Where you called previously?

Thanks for the update.

microgirl

Post by microgirl »

jramcam wrote:I got a phone call today at 12:04 PM CST from Washington, DC to inform me that I have been selected as a recipient for the scholarship! I will be working for USACE Southwestern Division Tulsa District and I am very excited to work there since I will be involved in dam repair and rehabilitation projects. I should mention that I did not list this sponsoring facility on my preferences, my top picks were also with the Corps but with their Engineer Research & Development Centers in Vicksburg, MS, Champaign, IL, and Alexandria, VA.

Good luck to all of you!
Congratulations!! :) I bet you are glad to be done waiting~

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

My initials are JR (First, Last) and here is the timeline of all contact related to the scholarship:

Jan 31 Semifinalist Notification E-mail from ASEE SMART Scholarship Team
Feb 15 Interview Request E-mail and phone call from USACE Southwestern Division Representative
Feb 16 Phone Interview Interviewed by a panel (3 members).
Mar 18 Finalist Notification Phone call from USACE HQ.

I have NOT been called by any other sponsoring facilities, I have NOT been called by the SPO, and I have NOT received the Finalist Notification e-mail from the ASEE SMART Scholarship Team. I am assuming that the call from the SPO will happen next week and that the e-mail will be sent on or about April 1st as stated in the timeline.

Microgirl, you have no idea how glad I am that I don't have to wait anymore! I hope you get selected too, I think there are a lot of forum members that have outstanding credentials and will get selected. Have your cell phone with you at all times, they are already making phone calls.

mcg13

Post by mcg13 »

Are you sure you have gotten the scholarship? Or have you just been recommended/nominated to SMART?

My impression was that the only solid offers came from the SPO in late March/Early April.

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

That was my first impression too, I was very surprised when she told me about being selected. She stated her name, where she was calling from, and then congratulated me for being selected as a scholarship recipient, she never mentioned recommended finalist or anything similar to it. What worries me is that the Semifinalist Notification e-mail says:

"Please be advised, ONLY WRITTEN AWARD NOTIFICATIONS SENT BY ASEE ARE CONSIDRED LEGALLY BINDING AWARDS. Candidates can be denied awards at any time prior to receiving an official award notification sent by ASEE. No other implied and/or explicit promise of an award made by any individual or group other than ASEE is a binding award offer and will NOT be honored by the SPO."

So, no, I am not going to feel safe until I get the official announcement from the ASEE SMART Scholarship Team, but I feel great now that I received that phone call.

dafix

Post by dafix »

I received a call from the AF liaison office. Seems two different AF bases had me selected as a finalist. I had to choose one. I guess I'm now a finalist for the AF, but I'm still not officially a SMART scholar. I guess there is the big meeting next week when the different branches get together and sort out any conflicts (i.e. people being recommended by two different branches), and hammer out the budget. There's still a chance for it all to go wrong, so fingers crossed.

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

Congratulations dafix! Please keep us updated if you get new information.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

7 days! (and maybe another week after that)

Is anyone filled with anticipation?

Post by Guest »

The Events section has been updated to reflect the change in the evaluation schedule (Says nothing about interviews being done by the SPO). It still says that the notifications will be sent out end at the March.

https://smart.asee.org/about/events

https://smart.asee.org/apply_/faq/application_timeline

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

Yeah, I saw that, but they still have a discrepancy between the Program Calendar and the Application Timeline, the first one says that notifications will be sent on the 30th and the second one says on the 31st.

wilsoneri

Post by wilsoneri »

jramcam wrote:... the first one says that notifications will be sent on the 30th and the second one says on the 31st.
And then there's the fact that most individual communication (people sending emails, questions during interviews, etc.) has resulted in the response that notifications will be sent out "sometime the first week of April." I think it's safe to say that the "timeline" should really say "guideline".

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

3 days if the 1st even means anything anymore. I try to think about all the patience I have had so far waiting for an answer and it always seems to get worse the closer we get to the notifications. The removal of the finalist notification really is a buzz kill in my book because at least some people knew earlier that it was over. With only 300 awards (just estimating... I know its high) and 1500 semi finalists I am sure there is a group of people who are not even being thought about any more. Why not let them know? Even if all 300 awardees declined you would still only need another 300. Heck you could let the bottom half of the semi finalist go and have plenty to spare... and them at least half of the applicants would be at peace.

Haven’t heard from Mike B in a while… hope he is ok!

Brando

Post by Brando »

I actually haven't heard ANYTHING from them...the last thing I heard after submission was that I made the first round. I haven't heard anything about interviews ...This is really depressing.... =(

JimM

Post by JimM »

I am in the same boat... and as much as I would like to think my application was so impressive that they did not need to call I doubt it. I just wish if they were going to cut me they would have done so by now. The finalist notification seems so much more humane. Now we do not even know whenthe day is... only that it will be early April.

Mike Birkhead

Post by Mike Birkhead »

Never Fear!!! (du dun da dunt)
I just got back home from Iraq. Took almost three weeks of traveling, but Safe and sound just in time to get results from the SMART scholarship. I haven't heard anything yet, but if they call, a Major in COB Speicher Iraq will be answering the phone... Hope that doesn't hurt my chances! LOL

But the way I see it, the people that got phone calls must have done (for the most part) so poorly that they were scared to call everyone - that's why I didn't get called... Just Kidding. I'm just guessing the the EE majors were probably called in a higher capacity than anyone else - probably because their program is more refined than other majors and other areas.

I'm guessing that no one in Bio Science has been called yet meaning that either the workforce is not needed or else the people in charge have a poorly run program (Don't tell them I said that!).
Those are honestly the only two scenarios I can come up with since going back through all the posts, nobody in biology field has been contacted yet.

microgirl

Post by microgirl »

So glad to hear from you, Mike! :D :D :D
Only 1 - 2 days left to go (if ASEE website is correct)~

PSU

Post by PSU »

If you don't mind, could you share some information about your education status? College, major, class level, gpa? Just trying to get a fix on what I might need to change when I apply again for graduate school.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

PSU,

This information is located in another thread. Most posters replied with the inofrmation you are looking for.

Post by Guest »

jramcam wrote:I got a phone call today at 12:04 PM CST from Washington, DC to inform me that I have been selected as a recipient for the scholarship! I will be working for USACE Southwestern Division Tulsa District and I am very excited to work there since I will be involved in dam repair and rehabilitation projects. I should mention that I did not list this sponsoring facility on my preferences, my top picks were also with the Corps but with their Engineer Research & Development Centers in Vicksburg, MS, Champaign, IL, and Alexandria, VA.

Good luck to all of you!
Did you end up receiving the scholarship jram? I received a similar call for the New England District but did not end up making the first round pick.

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

Yes, I did, I got the e-mail friday afternoon.

Post by guest »

Congrats to everyone who made it this year.