Decision Date?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Decision Date?

Post by Guest »

I am kind of confused about when we find out- everyone has been saying we find out on April 1st, but according to the schedule on the website, it says we find out on March 30th. Does anyone know when it really is? Thanks!

Mark T

Re: Decision Date?

Post by Mark T »

From what I've seen on the site, I saw March 31 as well.

From reading this forum from last year, notifications were sent out on April 1st throughout the day, and in fact, well into the 2nd. But with winners being notified over such a long time span, the first posters on this forum talking about winning led to many believing they were being pranked (April Fools!). Perhaps SMART got some feedback that April first is a bad time to start notifications.

Mark T

Post by Mark T »

Actually, looking again...

The events tab on the website says notifications are sent on the 30th.
The more detailed "Application Timeline" in the FAQ says the 31st.

Post by Guest »

When I was interviewed, I was told anywhere between the end of march and beginning of april.

Post by guest »

Doesn't every scholarship winner get interviewed by the SMART committee so if you are getting the scholarship you will have a fairly good idea next week.

firefighterjrp

Post by firefighterjrp »

From what I've read, I think that those that have been recommended by facilities are the ones that are interviewed by SMART March 21-25. However, not everyone that is recommended, and thus interviewed will be awarded a scholarship. With that being said that, I would think your chances would be pretty good if you hear from SMART for an interview during those dates.

Post by Guest »

The phone call from SMART had nothing to do with who was selected last year. They contacted everyone to verify information and get verbal confirmation that you would agree to what the program required.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

Why would they waste the time and call non-finalist? I thought the timeline explained they would cut the semifinalist in half and then award to about half of those. Why even make 600 phone calls that were not nessasry?

Post by Guest »

Jim M wrote:Why would they waste the time and call non-finalist? I thought the timeline explained they would cut the semifinalist in half and then award to about half of those. Why even make 600 phone calls that were not nessasry?
I think they do two "rounds" of awards-- the first to top choices, and the second to folks when some of the top choices decline the offer. (Which means we have TWO dates to stress over) Maybe they want to keep all their options open. AND seems like they are doing things slightly different than last year-- so who knows what they will do. None of us have had to do the security paper work or the fingerprint cards for example. What I do know is-- Thank God for these boards-- with all of us posting we have SOME inkling of what is happening and where we are in the process.