possible change of degree completion/conferral date

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
fish

possible change of degree completion/conferral date

Post by fish »

What if we thought the length of award would be two years when we applied for the SMART Scholarship, but class scheduling may push that back a semster. Since my student is transferring from a community college to a four-year university, we won't meet with an advisor at the university until June. At that time we will know for sure if it will be fours semesters for five. SMART doesn't like it when you extend the date:
"Generally, award length extensions will NOT be granted to Participants pursuing a Bachelor and/or Master degree."

What is the best way to approach this without losing a chance at the Scholarship?

Chris Moulder

Re: possible change of degree completion/conferral date

Post by Chris Moulder »

If the degree completion time changes, they will have to a) take summer classes or b) take a payback penatly at a 2:1 rate. This means that one extra semester of school = an entire extra year of required civil service.

fish

Post by fish »

Is there a possibility that SMART will withdraw the offer if we change it from 4 semesters to 5?

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

If you already have an offer, not really.

I would call smart and ask if you can change your profile without telling them who you are at first.

fish

Post by fish »

I spoke with erin at SMART. She said that changing the degree completion date should not hurt the applicant's chances of making it to the final selection. We need to send an email to SMART to let let them know, and they will pass the information to potential sponsoring facilities.

Post by Guest »

Is there anyway to check how much we asked for? For the life of me, I can't remember if I put 1 year or 1.5 years.