Been Contacted?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Jim M

Re: Been Contacted?

Post by Jim M »

Sounds like today is not the day... Did you ask her what the hold from the DoD was? Could it be budget issues? Did she mention if they had there selections ready witht he final go ahead from the DoD? Did she sound concerned that we are all going bald over the anticipation? Did she?

I can not stop laughing!

Post by guest »

I did not press her on the details. She just said "in the next couple of days" and when I probed further, she said: "we are waiting on the Department of Defense." I took that to mean that we all need to relax because it seems to be "they will tell us when they tell us." And I understand that. Something/something is holding the process up right now and I suppose that they have a good reason for that. So good luck to everyone and feel free to call that number whenever you wish. The girl was really nice.

Post by guest »

And I did tell her that there were a bunch of people on a forum (including me) that we sort of stressing out over this thing. I got the feeling that she told me everything she knew and could tell me.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

Thank you for calling!

Hurry up and wait is the answer then...

They are probably getting tons of calls and e-mails. Maybe the DoD has to review chnages due to two facilities choosingt he same person. ASEE may have rearanged and now they have to approve. That could be why they called that girl.

dafix

Post by dafix »

I not a fan of SMART listing an exact day on the website. If it is an approximate thing, it should be listed "week of" or something vaguer than the exact date of "March 30th".

2wheelmatt

Post by 2wheelmatt »

I must say, good call on using the phone. I find it somewhat disconcerting that the people trolling/lingering at this site, are going to be the future of the DOD, and yet our collective problem solving skills did not include using a phone.

At least the weekend is upon us. I'm taking the boat out this weekend in an attempt to decompress from this week. I suggest you all try something as well, stress is a killer. It would be such a shame to have a stroke or corinary over the weekend, only to be given an award on Monday. Oh, that reminds me, I need more beer.

Post by Guest »

Do you know/ Did they mention if decisions could go out over the weekend?

dafix

Post by dafix »

Word from SMART is "next few days"

I would assume workdays.

JDharma

Post by JDharma »

I sent an inquiry email today and received this response 5 minutes ago:

"We anticipate that notifications will go out within the next few days. All semi-finalists will receive notification if they were awarded or not and notifications will be sent through email.

Thank you,

The ASEE SMART Program Team"

Wes

Post by Wes »

You know, it wouldn't be such a bad idea for ASEE to craft a little note to all semi-finalists updating them on the status. It's not like this is some rinky-dink scholarship... This is full tuition coverage, a nifty stipend, a post-graduation job, etc. This grey area, wishy washy, guessing business is for the birds. I've got stuff to do today and I frantically check my phone every time it buzzes (which is roughly every 30 minutes), never mind how much I've been on this site in the last 48 hours. This is garbage.

P.S. Thanks to all who have been pinging ASEE about the status and sharing news with the rest of us.

yesiamachemist

Post by yesiamachemist »

dafix wrote:I not a fan of SMART listing an exact day on the website. If it is an approximate thing, it should be listed "week of" or something vaguer than the exact date of "March 30th".
As far as being up in arms about being told a specific date, I remember my semifinalist notification detailing responses "on or around March 31" ... so I guess I can't be too upset.

But in the meantime, I never ended up being contacted for an interview. I know that this idea was brought up, but I never got a good feeling for what you all think -- is someone like me who was never interviewed just flat out of the running?

Dum de dum.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I did not get a call either and I am also concerned... I guess we will find out for sure in the next couple of days.

Mark T

Post by Mark T »

But in the meantime, I never ended up being contacted for an interview. I know that this idea was brought up, but I never got a good feeling for what you all think -- is someone like me who was never interviewed just flat out of the running?
I never got called and I am not concerned at all. (Although I was a little during that window) I learned my friend who got accepted never got called. And all over this forum people have the same story. A lot of labs submit their names without calling, though that is preferred apparently. No worries!

yesiamachemist

Post by yesiamachemist »

You mean, all that matters is who I am on paper? haha

Post by Guest »

Everyone needs to be patient. In your semi-finalist email, it said "on or about 31 March". So relax.

Remember this is the US government, there is a lot of bureaucracy to satisfy.

Sal

Post by Sal »

I haven't received a call or email for an interview either, hopefully they get the decisions out soon so I can get some sleep.

dmu3084

Post by dmu3084 »

Oh well... I guess I will get some rest. Freak outs begin again tomorrow, promptly at sunrise.

Dad

Post by Dad »

mit16 wrote:
Dad wrote:FYI, we just received a call at our home from someone at the Navy who said they were part of the SMART program. My daughter then called after they spoke to her...mostly due diligence regarding the BS/MS program she intends to pursue. However, he said that it would be another week or two until final decisions are made.
Dad,

Any chance you're referring to the SMART Grant Program?
No, it is the SMART scholarship. I think from the range of comments and what I have read about how the program works, there are a lot of people involved in the review/vetting, but they haven't all necessarily been given all of the details of how and when everything is going to happen. So, in some cases they are probably conveying their best guess, while trying not to make too much of a commitment.

So, as others have said, it really is just a waiting game now.

deryk718

Post by deryk718 »

Thanks for posting everyone, nice to know that the notifications haven't gone out yet and that i'm not the only one dying to know if i made it. Appreciate the posts from people talking to ASEE, keep us updated!!

Good Luck All

Post by guest »

I got the scholarship a few years ago, and I believe they had send 'end of march' and contacted us April 6th. Obviously, this doesn't mean that the date for this year will be the same, but just letting people know. Sleep! Breathe! Don't eat too many cookies (haha, thats what i do).

Post by Guest »

Hey I figured I would just post something on the forum to give everyone a reason to freak out and check it. Have a good day guys.

anon

Post by anon »

And now we play the waiting game again, woohoo! So exciting!.....

e3sentry

Post by e3sentry »

Haha yeah here we go into day number three. Regardless of the unlikelihood of hearing anything back from the SMART office today, I want to wish everyone good luck. Hopefully we receive news regarding our status before too long, for all of our sakes. :D

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

Here is an idea, since we can't do anything about the notifications, they will be sent whenever ASEE is ready, what about doing something that us candidates can benefit from. I would like to see people that were awarded the scholarship on previous years describe their whole application process like Chris Moulder did and post it under a new topic, something like 2007 Application & Award Process, we can have new threads for other years too. I know that the scholarship changes every year and that not every candidate goes through the same situation, but I think this would be beneficial for everybody. Also, I noticed that there have been an increasing number of registered members, but we still have a lot of "guests." Yesterday when we broke the record at 56 users online at the same time at least 70% of the users were "guests."

I HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED

Post by guest »

Hey guys!! I just got an email saying that I have been accepted as an official SMART scholar for 2011. It said that Ft. Detrick lab will be giving me a phone call sometime today, and that a SPO will be contacting me to get more information. It also said at the bottom that because of budgetary reasons, the amount of winners for this year was only 50, rather than the usual 300 or so, so I'm really lucky I guess. Good Luck to everyone else!!

April Fools :D