Who are the Semi-finalists?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Corsair

Re: Who are the Semi-finalists?

Post by Corsair »

Wondering...how many applicants there are to the aerospace engineering field, and have any been contacted?

Post by guest »

Although not an aerospace student, I am a cc transfer student in mechanical engineering with an interest in propulsion and have yet to be contacted. While this is not exactly what you are looking for I think it may provide some insight. http://www.me.vt.edu/academic_programs/ ... 0AWARD.pdf
On page 16 there is a breakdown of award recipients by major and level of study. Over the course of the program, 31 undergraduate aerospace engineers have been selected out of a total of 872 for the scholarship.

Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Thanks. It would be interesting to know what percentage of applicants vs those picked were CC transfers, mechanical, or aerospace engineering students. Some of the facilities list a disproportionate amount of EE's compared to other fields. Good luck to you, and hope you get that call next week!

Post by guest »

Thanks and good luck to you as well. The most crucial call is the week before award notification as it seems that you cannot be awarded the scholarship without this final screening. I agree, information on the number of applicants per each sub category would give a better understanding of the proportional odds. Just saying that the top 50% in each category go on does not offer as much information as it would seem without knowing the breakdown. As you mention, EE majors are the most selected but this comes as no surprise in this day in age. I suspect that some facilities feel sufficiently confident in their selections enough to not feel the need to conduct interviews. All we can do now is wait and keep on living. Out of curiosity what university do you intend to transfer to? I am likely headed to UIUC or UMichigan.

Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Both schools are in Virginia--UVA or Virginia Tech.

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

Thanks for the attachment posted, it definitely gave me a better perspective on the number of awards available per major. I was really glad to see that Georgia Tech was the leading university in terms of students that were awarded the scholarship, Go Jackets!

kcdrews

Post by kcdrews »

Hey,

I'm a freshmen with a 3.8 GPA majoring in Biology, with a double minor in chemistry and history. I don't have any research experience unfortunately, and I'm only 19, so I don't think that will help :/
I applied to Ft. Detrick, and Ft. Belvoir, and I honestly can't remember the last one haha
I have lots of work experience (just part time jobs though) and some pretty good letters of recommendations... Keeping my fingers crossed!

Jefff

Post by Jefff »

Corsair wrote:Wondering...how many applicants there are to the aerospace engineering field, and have any been contacted?
I am a 4th year Aerospace Engineering major working on a blended BS+MS focusing on propulsion and minor in Physics with a GPA of 3.81. I come with some research experience (and the promise of much more by the time I graduate), and I have a few summers of engineering work experience with a really good recommendation. I am applying for 2 years of scholarship, and my top choices were Pt. Mugu Naval Base, Edwards AFB, and Wright-Patterson. I have not been contacted.

Post by guest »

Jefff wrote:I am a 4th year Aerospace Engineering major working on a blended BS+MS focusing on propulsion and minor in Physics with a GPA of 3.81. I come with some research experience (and the promise of much more by the time I graduate), and I have a few summers of engineering work experience with a really good recommendation. I am applying for 2 years of scholarship, and my top choices were Pt. Mugu Naval Base, Edwards AFB, and Wright-Patterson. I have not been contacted.
Wow Jefff, you have impressive credentials. I'd be surprised if you don't make finalist! good luck.

Jefff

Post by Jefff »

guest wrote:Wow Jefff, you have impressive credentials. I'd be surprised if you don't make finalist! good luck.
Thanks! That certainly lifts the spirits. Good luck to you, too.

Guest21

Post by Guest21 »

I'm a Junior at Penn State, double majoring in Software Design & Development and Information & Cyber Security. I've got a 3.44 cumulative and a 3.70 in both majors. I don't exactly have any research experience however I completed an internship with a defense contractor last summer. I currently hold a TS/SCI with a full scope polygraph clearance so I figure that just might help my cause. I applied for a one-year award but if I'm accepted, I will probably apply for a follow-on award to get a Masters in Information Assurance from Hopkins. It's out of our control until next week so we'll see how everything plays out from here.

Best of luck to everyone!

Post by Guest »

currently a first-year biomedical engineering phd student at Duke. undergrad GPA was 3.97, grad GPA: 4.0. have not been contacted by any facilities, possibly due to asking for 5 years of funding (oops).