Semi-Finalist

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Matthew

Semi-Finalist

Post by Matthew »

Just got my email for semi-finalist notification. Congrats to everyone who have made it to the next round.

Jake

Re: Semi-Finalist

Post by Jake »

Made it through the easy cut. woot woot!
The next ones look a lot worse though. Good luck everybody.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

Got my letter as well... Looks like I get to be excited for another month.

csmajor

Post by csmajor »

Yep. Guess I get to wait another month in anticipation.

wateq

Post by wateq »

Got my letter too.

Anyone last year make it this far? About how long until you were asked for interviews, etc?

Mike Birkhead

Post by Mike Birkhead »

When I noticed I had received an email from ASEE my heart rate actually increased. If it pans out, this is my trip off the island. I opened the email and saw that I made it to round 2.

The numbers are better now than they were on December 1st.
When you submitted your application, your odds were about 10%.

Now that 50% of the applicants have been cut, your odds have increased to 20%.

If you make it past this round, your odds increase to 50%... 1 of 2 is pretty good odds.

Well, I can't wait to get home from Iraq in April, hopefully I'll be going home with no worries about finding another job!

mcg13

Post by mcg13 »

I got semifinalist as well. Yay for more waiting!

erth2rst

Post by erth2rst »

Made it.
One step closer than last year.
Mike, be safe.

Justin

Post by Justin »

Very glad to have received the semifinalist email. Congrats to all who made it!

Post by Guest »

+1 on receiving a semi-finalist letter. For those of you who might be curious, the numbers are about the same as last year with the exception that there were only 1300 semi-fianlists last year compared with 1500 this year.
wateq wrote:Anyone last year make it this far? About how long until you were asked for interviews, etc?
I made it this far last year but never go interviewed. However, interviews can come anytime between now and March 15th, which is when submissions are apparently due in from the facilities to the SMART office.

Mike Birkhead

Post by Mike Birkhead »

erth2rst wrote:Made it.
One step closer than last year.
Mike, be safe.
Thanks! and I sure will.

wilsoneri

Post by wilsoneri »

@Mike, those numbers make me feel good. :) I've been able to make it to the top 20% of applicants in other internships I've applied to, so here's to keeping that up. *fingers crossed* Best of luck to you, and keep safe.

akahuli

Post by akahuli »

Yeay!!!! I made it! Phewww. I watched all day and saw that people were recieving e-mails (I am in Hawaii, so the e-mail came out at 6:00 am my time) -- and I was on my e-mail pressing "refresh" every five minutes-- all to no avail. Then I figured out to look in my Spam box-- and there it was!!! Yeay! Maybe to those who have recieved no word-- look in your spam!!

Congrats to all those who made it to the next round--

Post by guest »

I am a semi-finalist, not that it means much. I also applied to NDSEG, but have heard nothing yet. Is it possible to be accepted for both scholarships? Do the same people at ASEE look at both scholarship applications?

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

I got an e-mail on Monday, January 31st saying that I made the first cut. Congratulations to all of you that made the Semi-Finalist List, and to the ones that didn't make it, don't give up, keep working on your application package requirements and apply next year.