To change things up....

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
UDiii

To change things up....

Post by UDiii »

Instead of everyone worrying about the application and whether or not you're going to get it, just relax for a little bit. Feel free to share what specific area of study you are interested in/research you've done or are interested in/which agency you would like to work for. I figured it'd be nice for a change to hear what everyone else's interests are..

Smart-Applicant

Re: To change things up....

Post by Smart-Applicant »

A positive tone always helps the mood. Why worry anyway? Can't change what will happen. We all hope to be picked, but let's face it, that's not possible. So worry will just make you get more gray a lot faster!

Anyway, I'd like to research more about encryption, data assurance, and securing networks from outside intrusions. I guess picking a main focus data assurance / encryption would be areas I'd be most interest in.

How about yourself?

gwhat2011

Post by gwhat2011 »

I"m a mechanical engineering major. I'm interested in fluid dynamics, mainly in the the field of aerospace. I'm also very interested in energy production and development of clearer energy sources. I know those tow fields are fairly distinct, but it's hard to decide which one I want for sure. I don't think I'd mind either one. They both fascinate me. Good luck to everyone. Hopefully they get some stimulus money and just fund everyone this year :)

sdgz747

Post by sdgz747 »

I did something called a REU, Research Experience for Undergraduates, for the National Science Foundation. I researched and wrote a paper on DNA Computers. That was very fun and interesting! Although it took up an enormous amount of time, it was a very rewarding experience. That research experience has caused me to become interested in nano-technology. I would really enjoy researching how to apply DNA Computers into nano-technology. I am majoring in Electircal Engineering and want to obtain a masters degree. In time, I will succeed in this!

I have to agree with just sitting back and relaxing. I would just sit back, relax, and watch what happens. If you are currently enrolled in school you have enough to worry about in regards to those classes. If it works great! If not, try again next year! Good luck to everyone!

Smart-Applicant

Post by Smart-Applicant »

Exactly sdgz. Older you get, more you have to worry about. If we are chosen, sounds great. Would love to be a part of this program. However, life will bring what it brings, as they say.

I did research for my first master's on technology in the educational world. My original field of study was not computers. However, I have always had an interest in computers as a hobby. So here I am studying information security now. Certainly love to carry out more research and offer service to my country this way. Time tells if we are the lucky one's or not. In the mean time, just another day to get what you need done =), as now this process is out of your hands. So no point in anyone getting nervous. Que Sera Sera = What will be will be.

UDiii

Post by UDiii »

Smart-Applicant wrote:A positive tone always helps the mood. Why worry anyway? Can't change what will happen. We all hope to be picked, but let's face it, that's not possible. So worry will just make you get more gray a lot faster!

Anyway, I'd like to research more about encryption, data assurance, and securing networks from outside intrusions. I guess picking a main focus data assurance / encryption would be areas I'd be most interest in.

How about yourself?
Sounds interesting, if it were possible for me to manage a double major I definitely would probably look into CS which covers a lot of what you mentioned (or I think it does at least..).

As for me, I'm currently an undergraduate Mechanical Engineering major. I honestly have no clue what I would specifically like to focus on, which could potentially be a problem. I find so much of it interesting that I can't really decide what I like the most haha

sdgz - that REU that you participated in, was it through the NNIN? I'm currently filling out the application (which is due in a few days..) to apply for the REU through the NNIN. I really have no experience with nano-technology whatsoever, but I would like to learn more about it, and the impression that I got from the website was that it encourages students in my situation to apply. If that was the program that you participated in, would you recommend it?

Also, alongside with the REU programs, does anyone know of any schools that have an REU program related to automotives? I know Auburn had one last summer, but they said that they are no longer having a program for Summer 2010. I'm interested in automotives, but haven't come across any Undergraduate Research programs dealing with that.

sdgz747

Post by sdgz747 »

UDiii

sdgz - that REU that you participated in, was it through the NNIN? I'm currently filling out the application (which is due in a few days..) to apply for the REU through the NNIN. I really have no experience with nano-technology whatsoever, but I would like to learn more about it, and the impression that I got from the website was that it encourages students in my situation to apply. If that was the program that you participated in, would you recommend it?

The REU I participated in was with the National Science Foundation. I didn't participate in the NNIN REU. It does sound like fun though. I was just reviewing their web-site yesterday and I didn't come across any REU information for the NNIN. Would you happen to have the link for the REU with the NNIN?

Although I didn't do research for the NNIN, I would highly recommend doing the REU with the NNIN. It is very good experience and it will help you see what is involved with research. It will also give you excellent experience that other students normally don't get until they are working on graduate courses. I'm assuming you have to write a paper in regard to your findings, if that is the case it will also give you experience with writing a research paper, and that experience is priceless! Good luck with it, I hope it goes well for you!