background investigation

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

background investigation

Post by Guest »

During the background investigation, I'm assuming they interview your family, friends, boss, etc... Are you allowed to tell these people that they may interviewed and why? For instance, can I say, "I'm being investigated for a security clearance, so you may be contacted by someone with some questions about me." Is it okay if I just say it's for an internship as long as I leave out specific details of what I'll be doing? I remember being interviewed for a co-worker and had no idea he was getting a federal job. But part of me believes I should warn/advise people why a federal investigator might be coming to talk to them.

Re: background investigation

Post by Guest »

On a similar note...

I was looking at the forum's posts from about a year ago and SMART was having everyone fill out SF-86's. Is this not happening this year?

erth2rst

Post by erth2rst »

Last year they sent them out on 12/24. Looks like they're following a different schedule this year. Here is last year's email:
Thank you for submitting an application for the 2010 SMART Scholarship. We are writing to notify you of the next steps in the process.

1. TRANSCRIPTS: If you were enrolled in college coursework for the Fall of 2009 you need to send ASEE an official transcript containing that coursework by February 1, 2010. Transcripts should be mailed to:

The SMART Scholarship for Service Program
1818 N St, NW
Suite T-50
Washington, DC 20036

2. SECURITY QUESTIONNAIRE: All submitted applicants must complete the SF-86 Questionnaire for National Security Positions. You may access a writable and savable version of this form here: http://smart.asee.org/assets/File/SF-86.doc. Instructions for the form can be found here: https://smart.asee.org/assets/File/SMAR ... ctions.pdf. This form is due by January 15, 2010.
3. FINGERPRINT ID CARDS: If you are named a Finalist for the SMART Scholarship you will be notified in early February and mailed two (2) SF-87 Forms (fingerprint cards) to complete and return by February 28, 2010.

Post by Guest »

Before I list references on anything I get their permission and let them know the basics of what I'm applying for and what I'm using them as a reference for (whether it's where I lived, educational experience, past boss/coworker,...). I too was used as a reference for someone once and had no idea. I was completing caught off guard on my way to a class and honestly feel that I didn't give the best reference because I wasn't sure what this person was applying for, why I was being called (I didn't consider the person to be a very close friend), and I wasn't sure what to say. A little heads up would have been nice, so I give the same consideration to my references without going into the nitty-gritty of the reason what I'm applying for.