Where do you stack up against the competition?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
xkcd13

Where do you stack up against the competition?

Post by xkcd13 »

It seems like a lot (yes, it's two words, thanks) of people post on here just to get a feel for what their chance of being selected are.

So, lets make a thread for for it!

I'll start:

I am applying for a two year award. I am Computer science major and have conducted research for a semester so far. 3.63 GPA.

What about you?

erth2rst

Re: Where do you stack up against the competition?

Post by erth2rst »

Engineering Physics major, applying for 3 year award under Electrical Engineering discipline. 1.5 years research experience with one paper accepted for publishing. 3.33 GPA.

Post by Guest »

Engineering Science major (biomathematical sciences minor) applying for 2 year award under mechanical engineering. One summer and one semester of research so far. Summer project accepted as poster for national conference (will be presenting soon!) 3.65 GPA.

Post by Guest »

Currently in mathematics with 3.9 gpa, 6 years military, and no research experience. I Applied for 3 years of funding for mechanical engineering.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Electrical Engineering Major, 3 years requested to complete undergrad, applying as junior, 3.93 GPA, no research experience, Winning member of NASA NCAS team 2010, 10 yrs succesful experience in construction industry with demonstrated growth.

Dafix

Post by Dafix »

EE major, 2 1/2 years requested. I will be a junior at time of award. 3.7GPA. Payload manager of a 2010-2011 NASA USLI team. No research, but 15 years of mechanical experience and 6 years of published technical writing (columns and tech stories).

Post by Guest »

Neuroscience major requesting 2 yrs funding to finish my undergrad. Have participated in research labs but not done my own. 3.95 GPA
Am I the only bioscience major? It seems like everyone is computer science, physics and engineering.

Post by guest »

I'm majoring in biology with a minor in chemistry. I am a senior seeking a 2 year award. I have done 2 research projects so far, and have presented posters several times at several national conferences. My GPA is 3.83.

Mike Birkhead

Post by Mike Birkhead »

I'm a Biology Major requesting 2 year scholarship to finish up undergrad. I have a 4.0 GPA, but no research. 8 Years military experience in unrelated field. No published papers. I'm wanting to work either at the HIV research facility (which to my knowledge doesn't accept SMART participants) or Defense for Biological warfare.

I've noticed that everyone is posting what they are, but there isn't anyone qualified enough to state what anyones chances are. Everyone is simply going to look and weigh themselves against the posting of their peers on here, which is probably a bad idea. I'd say that the people on this forum are all pretty much light years ahead of the rest of the competition simply because you are actively interested in getting the award.

Post by Guest »

If this were facebook Id like your post, Mike.

Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I think the idea is more to see were we stand in the top percentage of the applicants. I was not looking for anyone to tellme what my chances are only to provide my info for others to evaluate as well as evaluate myself against others. Only 200 out of 3500 received awards in the last round. Chances are pretty slim regardless.

Post by Guest »

Your major, experience, and gpa are significant to guage where you stand, but the place that you chose for your top choice of facility also matters greatly. If person A chooses a very popular site then he will need to have much more impressive credentials whereas person B with a less popular site in mind may not need to rank so high amongst his few competitors.

wolfawk

Post by wolfawk »

I have a BS in IT. I am seeking funding for a Masters in Cyber Operations at the Air Force Institute of technology. I graduated with a 3.40 GPA, and currently hold a 3.8 GPA at my current graduate school. I interned with the Defense Intelligence Agency and hold a TS/SCI Clearance.

Prior to my summer at DIA and my TS/SCI, I had been selected as a finalist the last two years. I am hoping that by adding the internship and my clearance, I should land the scholarship now.

Post by Guest »

I am going for a Bachelors in Astronautical Engineering at Arizona State University. I will be starting my junior year this spring with a current GPA of 3.75. I have yet to do and serious research in my field yet but cant wait!

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I posted above as a guest but then decided to register so just reposting

I am going for a Bachelors in Astronautical Engineering at Arizona State University. I will be starting my junior year this spring with a current GPA of 3.75. I have yet to do any serious research in my field but cant wait!

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:If this were facebook Id like your post, Mike.
Thanks man - I usually try to think of myself as a top 5% type of person, but that's a bit prideful I suppose.

lizzier

Post by lizzier »

I am applying for a one year award. I am a mathematics major with 3.78 GPA. I am an adult student with some prior work experience, so I'm not sure whether or not that will make a difference.