Chris Moulder

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Mikebirkhead

Chris Moulder

Post by Mikebirkhead »

I'm just curious as to the site administrators relationship to the SMART scholarship.
Forgive me for being slightly skeptical, but it appears that you may have been a Smart award recipient. That's saying more for you than it is for me, but is that all of your qualifications for answering all of these questions in such an authoritative way or are you privy in another way?

I am not trying to be smart, aggressive, or undermining, I just want to know how much stock to place in the statements that you make. I know that you probably learn alot more about the entire thing after actually being accepted for the reward, but if that's all you have, I would like to know the source of your information.

If you are related in a different, more formal capacity, then I would like to know that. It's always best to know the source. As the Catholic humanist, Desiderius Erasmus said, "To the source". That was his goal in putting together an entire copy of the Greek New Testament in the highest degree of accuracy that he was able to do in the short period of time that he had. That copy, known as the textus receptus was used to create the new testament of the King James Bible.... Erasmus was revered for his philosophy - I think it's a good one to adopt.

Re: Chris Moulder

Post by Guest »

To partially address your comment there are a lot of things that become exponentially clearer once you go through the process. I'm a 2010 Cohort and there were/ are a lot of thing that were either addressed directly at orientation or that became obvious from talking with the facility personnel that came. Beyond the things that you pick up on going through the process you'd be surprised how many of these questions are actually answered in the hand book, and no I didn't read it when I was applying like a lot of people don't.

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

I'm a 2009 Cohort. Most of my information comes from orientation, personal experience, the handbook, working for the DoD, and several hours of recruiting. Currently, the only official poster is SMARTGuide, and they have not posted in quite a while. There are also several other recipients who post pretty regularly, but few login. If there are any questions that you feel are not answered correctly, ASEE is always happy to help: smart@asee.org or (202)331-3544. I don't think I've ever had them pickup the phone, but they respond to voice mails quickly.

JimM

Post by JimM »

I guess if it was the official forum the name would be different as well. I do think Chris stated his qualifications in the very first post.

To Chris and others who have been through the process... Thank you.