Course Load to Graduation

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
BROCKMAE

Course Load to Graduation

Post by BROCKMAE »

I am a second year college student pursuing a BS, but a Junior by credits. My expected graduation is Spring 2012. Say I win the award, but complete all my courses for accreditation by Fall 2011. Can I take courses Spring 2012 and expect SMART to pay for them? Even if they may not be related to my major?
Thanks,
brockmae

ccain

Re: Course Load to Graduation

Post by ccain »

brockmae,

I think the answer to your question is technically, yes. Normally when an award is granted, it is valid through your expected graduation date. What you are taking (not related to your degree requirements) would normally be paid for at any rate, such as 12 hours of engineering coursework, and 6 hours of art. That said, if it is possible for you to finish your degree by Dec 2011, then you should note this. The reason, which has been discussed on this forum previously, is that the less SMART has to spend on you, the more likely you are to get an award, as it stretches their budget further.

Regards,

ccain

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

I have to disagree with ccain.

Generally, the rules are A) you must take every course for credit that can be taken for credit B) you cannot take any courses other than those which are required for your major C) you must be a full time student, feds say 12 credits.

Without working something out ahead of time, if you can graduate, you will be graduating, whether you want to or not.

Just a note, you generally cannot be in the program while not getting paid at the same time, and you can expect that they're not going to pay you to take additional credits.

As you can see, graduating early or late can cause many problems. You have already submitted your application; the best thing to do is not worry about it until you receive an offer.

Post by Guest »

Chris Moulder wrote:I have to disagree with ccain.

Generally, the rules are A) you must take every course for credit that can be taken for credit B) you cannot take any courses other than those which are required for your major C) you must be a full time student, feds say 12 credits.
Chris has a good point that I failed to mention: The courses you are taking still have to count in some meaningful manner toward your degree program's progression. So if say those 6 credit hours of Art are acceptable for electives that you need to fill, then you're good to go.

But like Chris says, the timeline for graduation is pretty tight..definitely not in your best interest to have to deviate from that.

Applicant

Post by Applicant »

What if the credit hour requirements for your degree have been met, but you need to take more research credits or an extra course (directly related to your research) in order to finish your research?

Post by Guest »

Applicant wrote:What if the credit hour requirements for your degree have been met, but you need to take more research credits or an extra course (directly related to your research) in order to finish your research?
I remember reading somewhere in the contract documents and noting, since it is something that could potentially affect me, that you have to contact the SMART office and request for postponement. I have no idea how the process works, or if there is some board that gives the thumbs up/down on this. Someone else hopefully can chime on how it all works.

This can happen quite routinely with theses, and dissertations, so I'd imagine they surely have a mechanism in place to accommodate reasonable requests.

Applicant

Post by Applicant »

Guest wrote:
Applicant wrote:What if the credit hour requirements for your degree have been met, but you need to take more research credits or an extra course (directly related to your research) in order to finish your research?
I remember reading somewhere in the contract documents and noting, since it is something that could potentially affect me, that you have to contact the SMART office and request for postponement. I have no idea how the process works, or if there is some board that gives the thumbs up/down on this. Someone else hopefully can chime on how it all works.

This can happen quite routinely with theses, and dissertations, so I'd imagine they surely have a mechanism in place to accommodate reasonable requests.

I don't really mean postponement. I plan to graduate on time, but with the requirement to be full time I may end up needing to take several more credit hours. Is this ok as long as it is research credit hours or a course directly related to my research?

Post by Guest »

Applicant wrote:
Guest wrote:

I don't really mean postponement. I plan to graduate on time, but with the requirement to be full time I may end up needing to take several more credit hours. Is this ok as long as it is research credit hours or a course directly related to my research?

I see. In other words you *might* have a final semester with less than 9 hours (I'm assuming you're a grad here), so you'd like to take extra research credits to put you at the mark? I would not see a reason why they would object to relevant courses, especially if they are not postponing your graduation. As I understand it, I don't think you have to get approval from them when you decide with your adviser what courses you plan to take each semester. I think they just make you submit transcripts once or twice a year to make sure you're progressing. The bigger question would be if they would let you go less than full-time that last semester, as it would save them money. Anyone have firm facts on that?

BROCKMAE

Post by BROCKMAE »

Exactly, the most likely situation is that I need to take one class my final semester to get my degree. It would probably be my senior design project. I'm at a fairly small school where certain classes are only offered certain semesters as well... i.e. if I fail, I have to wait a year for the course to be offered again. I have to plan out the next 2 years carefully to make sure I have the right courses during the right semester. To fulfill co-req requirements, I may not have enough mandatory classes to take my last semester unless I throw in some fluff... albeit "technical". Maybe an extra math elective or two or something. I'm also pursuing 2 minors, but I think I can still finish everything in a timely manner. I think should I receive the award, I'll plan out my last 2 years so that I meet the minimum 12 hours per semester, but not so much that I'll have nothing to do my final semester... I guess I'll worry about it if I have to...

I guess my question boils down to... should I need to take another class or two my final semester to be full time, and I don't need the classes, am I still covered? I dont see any reason why SMART wouldn't pay for extra math electives or engineering electives.