Awards

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Re: Awards

Post by Guest »

Has anyone gotten a rejection? I just want to know if I still have a chance or if it's over for this year.

guest12345

Post by guest12345 »

Just got a rejection email.

Guest1212

Post by Guest1212 »

Just got a rejection email as well.

Guest1268493

Post by Guest1268493 »

Guest wrote:I haven't gotten an email yet, but its showing the award notification again when I log into the portal
Check your spam. I am a current/2018 scholar and it went straight to my spam folder.

Good luck and congrats everyone!

Post by Guest »

Guest1268493 wrote:
Guest wrote:I haven't gotten an email yet, but its showing the award notification again when I log into the portal
Check your spam. I am a current/2018 scholar and it went straight to my spam folder.

Good luck and congrats everyone!
Yup, you were right-- went straight to spam. Thanks!

Chicka

Post by Chicka »

I got a rejection letter. BS in CS. No interview.

Post by Guest »

For any previous year scholars on here, did your Point of Contact tell you what your specific job title and salary will be?

AnotherGuest

Post by AnotherGuest »

AnotherGuest wrote:
rerathar wrote:
physics wrote:
I'm assuming things won't go out for another couple hours.
I got an award e-mail from SMART at 10AM EST today.
Others may be in a similar situation -- check your e-mail. Logged into the award portal and I only see page unavailable, however I did get an acceptance e-mail.

AnotherGuest

Post by AnotherGuest »

Guest wrote:For any previous year scholars on here, did your Point of Contact tell you what your specific job title and salary will be?
Nope. I didn't get to hear my job title until I interned at the SF, and even then, it'll likely be intern related - you'll get your official job title when starting hiring paperwork. Salary won't even be discussed until they start hiring paperwork for when you start full-time after graduation.

tytrewq

Post by tytrewq »

My email says at this time I have not been selected but over the next few weeks that could change.

Is this the rejection email others have talked about or is this a third category? (Accepted, wait listed, and denied)
If it is a third category, does anyone know how many get wait listed? Still holding on to any shred of hope I can...

Congrats to those who have been accepted!

guest12345

Post by guest12345 »

tytrewq wrote:My email says at this time I have not been selected but over the next few weeks that could change.

Is this the rejection email others have talked about or is this a third category? (Accepted, wait listed, and denied)
If it is a third category, does anyone know how many get wait listed? Still holding on to any shred of hope I can...

Congrats to those who have been accepted!

Based on last year, I think everyone gets the 'over the next few weeks we might offer you something'.

2018Awardee

Post by 2018Awardee »

Guest wrote:For any previous year scholars on here, did your Point of Contact tell you what your specific job title and salary will be?
No, and many don't find out specific job titles until after they graduate. For reference, most undergrads are a GS-7 approx. $37,000), master's a GS-9 ($45,000) or PhD GS-11 ($54,000) starting at step 1. If you go to OPM's website and look at the pay scale you can estimate what your salary will be. It's adjusted for location too, so somewhere like D.C. is going to technically get paid more because it's expensive to live there whereas someone at like Wright-Patt in Ohio won't because Ohio is cheaper to live.

Some people really love their jobs with SMART while a see plenty unhappy scholars with acquisition or project management jobs. Check out the awardee threads and maybe do a search to see what other people have said on this forum.

EE_2019

Post by EE_2019 »

Got the award notification this morning. Congrats to all. Even if you haven’t been awarded yet, everyone deserves recognition for making it this far!! Here is the info for my offer:

Degree type: BS
Year: Second Year
Major: Electrical Engineering
Facility: Edwards AFB, Air Force Test Center
One of original preference selections? Yes
Facility in the same geographic region as original preferences? If so, what region? Yes, all my original preferences were on the West Coast.
Interviewed by facility? Yes.
Received preference call? No

as3439

Post by as3439 »

I just got the award email!!! Here's my info:

Year: Second Year
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Facility: Picatinny Arsenal Armament Research Center
One of original preference selections? Yes
Facility in the same geographic region as original preferences? If so, what region? Yes
Interviewed by facility? Yes, 3 interviews
Received preference call? Yes

AnotherGuest

Post by AnotherGuest »

2018Awardee wrote:
No, and many don't find out specific job titles until after they graduate. For reference, most undergrads are a GS-7 approx. $37,000), master's a GS-9 ($45,000) or PhD GS-11 ($54,000) starting at step 1. If you go to OPM's website and look at the pay scale you can estimate what your salary will be. It's adjusted for location too, so somewhere like D.C. is going to technically get paid more because it's expensive to live there whereas someone at like Wright-Patt in Ohio won't because Ohio is cheaper to live.

Some people really love their jobs with SMART while a see plenty unhappy scholars with acquisition or project management jobs. Check out the awardee threads and maybe do a search to see what other people have said on this forum.
Masters SMART scholar in phase 3 right now... When I started phase 2 at Wright-Patt, I was offered close to an 80k salary. Depends on your SF's pay system. LabDemo is close to competitive for the area - I have heard AcqDemo is not. GS really isn't, so hopefully your facilities have transitioned to newer systems.

fgh345

Post by fgh345 »

Congratulations to recipients!

Got rejected, though I had an interview with my 1st choise USACE facility and they said they were submitting me as their first choice applicant. PhD student in civil engineering. Wondering if it is somewhat random which sponsoring facilities get funding to host someone?

Also, anyone know how many people get awards after today?

Mguest

Post by Mguest »

Hello, I just got my award !! I'm so excited.

Year: Sophmore, first time applying
Major: Computer Science and Mathematics
Facility: ARMY CECOM Software Engineering Center
One of original preference selections? No
Facility in the same geographic region as original preferences? If so, what region? No
Interviewed by facility? Yes, and 1 other that was also not on my preference list.

SMARTAnon

Post by SMARTAnon »

I just got notified that I received an award.

Degree Type: BS
Year: High School Senior/College Sophomore (in a complicated program)
Major: Computer Science/Sciences and Computer Engineering
Facility: Defense Intelligence Agency
One of the original preferences? Yes
Facility in same region as original preferences? Yes
Interviewed by facility? No
Received preference call? No

nmserio

Post by nmserio »

I just got a rejection letter as well. Oh well, I'll apply again next year. Congrats to everyone who received the award.

Major: Mechanical Engineering BS
Preferred SF: Edwards AFB
Interviewed: Yes
3.87 GPA at the time of applying.

I thought the interview went relatively well, so I don't really know what else they wanted. Fingers crossed that I get bumped up as an alternate.

Tanyag

Post by Tanyag »

Congrats to everyone. I just got the award letter this morning.

Degree Type: BS
Year: Sophomore, upcoming Junior
Major: Modeling and Simulation Engineering
Facility: NSWC Dam Neck
One of the original preferences? Yes. It was my top preference.
Facility in same region as original preferences? Yes
Interviewed by facility? Yes. By two groups from the facility.
Received preference call? No.

random123

Post by random123 »

Hey! Congrats to everyone, well-deserved! Was wondering how likely it is to get chosen for an award 'second-round'?

ExcitedRecipient

Post by ExcitedRecipient »

Degree Type: BS/MS
Year: First Year
Major: Computer Science
Facility: U.S. Army Engineer Research, Development Center - ITL, Vicksburg MS
One of the original preferences? Yes
Interviewed by facility? Yes via phone call

nmserio

Post by nmserio »

random123 wrote:Hey! Congrats to everyone, well-deserved! Was wondering how likely it is to get chosen for an award 'second-round'?
I would also like to know, if anyone has information for us, that'd be great. Let's keep our fingers crossed hey? There still might be hope.

Guest1234

Post by Guest1234 »

random123 wrote:Hey! Congrats to everyone, well-deserved! Was wondering how likely it is to get chosen for an award 'second-round'?
It'll depend on how many decline their offer from SMART, and where SMART put you in their queue/waitlist.

suprised_applicant

Post by suprised_applicant »

Not given an award

Degree Type: MS (ECE)
4.0 GPA at time of application
Prior DoD internship
contacted by three separate facilities and interviewed by two
received SMART preference call (did not have time to change preferences)

Hoping, I get second round award offer.