Awards

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Re: Awards

Post by Guest »

Received the award. For future applicant's reference:
Desired Degree: Incoming MS in Geodesy (starting in the fall)
Undergraduate degree: BS in Environmental Engineering (GPA: 3.35)
Facility: Naval Oceanographic Office- Stennis Space Center, Mississippi
One of the original preferences? Yes
Interviewed by facility? Yes via phone call
Received preference call? Yes

I received a call from the SMART office a few weeks ago to discuss my interviews and re-rank my facility preferences. The SF that sponsored me was my 3rd preference originally, but after interviews they were my number 1. I was lucky enough to receive the SMART call to re-rank my preferences and ended up getting sponsored by the facility I re-ranked to number 1.

For those who are waiting for second round awards/re-applying in the future, don't give up. I was lucky to receive the award because the master's program I am going into (geodesy) has very little applicants and is heavily desired by the DoD (NGA, Navy, etc). The school and program I am attending also has a great reputation in the field and with the DoD. Just some advice, if you are re-applying then find facilities that need your skills and interests. Tailor your resume to fit these needs! Also, research the universities that have good reputations with the DoD. Some schools/programs have a better chance of getting you sponsored than others. I would imagine putting undecided for the university you plan to attend would lower your chances, although I am not completely sure on that. Good luck, and stay positive.

Re: Awards

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Received the award. For future applicant's reference:
Desired Degree: Incoming MS in Geodesy (starting in the fall)
Undergraduate degree: BS in Environmental Engineering (GPA: 3.35)
Facility: Naval Oceanographic Office- Stennis Space Center, Mississippi
One of the original preferences? Yes
Interviewed by facility? Yes via phone call
Received preference call? Yes

I received a call from the SMART office a few weeks ago to discuss my interviews and re-rank my facility preferences. The SF that sponsored me was my 3rd preference originally, but after interviews they were my number 1. I was lucky enough to receive the SMART call to re-rank my preferences and ended up getting sponsored by the facility I re-ranked to number 1.

For those who are waiting for second round awards/re-applying in the future, don't give up. I was lucky to receive the award because the master's program I am going into (geodesy) has very little applicants and is heavily desired by the DoD (NGA, Navy, etc). The school and program I am attending also has a great reputation in the field and with the DoD. Just some advice, if you are re-applying then find facilities that need your skills and interests. Tailor your resume to fit these needs! Also, research the universities that have good reputations with the DoD. Some schools/programs have a better chance of getting you sponsored than others. I would imagine putting undecided for the university you plan to attend would lower your chances, although I am not completely sure on that. Good luck, and stay positive.
Congrats! I am also an incoming masters student, and I agree with your points about finding facilities that need your skills/interest. But for anyone who is nervous about putting "undecided", I put undecided on my application (because I was unsure of which masters programs I would be accepted to at the time of submitting the SMART application) and I still received an award!