Pathways Internship to SMART

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
PathwaysIntern

Pathways Internship to SMART

Post by PathwaysIntern »

I'm currently a Pathways intern completing my last semester of my undergrad degree. I've been in the Pathways program since 2016, and the agency I've worked for since then intends to hire me on full-time upon completion of my undergrad degree. Last fall, I communicated my intent to pursue a masters to my supervisor and applied to the SMART program for funding for my graduate degree. I've been accepted to the school I intend to go to. I've been selected as a semifinalist in a recruitment position for the SMART program, as I'm not technically a full-time government employee as per the definitions of the SMART program (referencing the 2017 handbook on the SMART site). Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed so that my current agency can still keep me as a SMART scholar? Should they look into selecting me through a Recruitment student position? Can they wait until I graduate in May to take me on as a Retention student? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

AnotherGuest

Re: Pathways Internship to SMART

Post by AnotherGuest »

PathwaysIntern wrote:I'm currently a Pathways intern completing my last semester of my undergrad degree. I've been in the Pathways program since 2016, and the agency I've worked for since then intends to hire me on full-time upon completion of my undergrad degree. Last fall, I communicated my intent to pursue a masters to my supervisor and applied to the SMART program for funding for my graduate degree. I've been accepted to the school I intend to go to. I've been selected as a semifinalist in a recruitment position for the SMART program, as I'm not technically a full-time government employee as per the definitions of the SMART program (referencing the 2017 handbook on the SMART site). Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed so that my current agency can still keep me as a SMART scholar? Should they look into selecting me through a Recruitment student position? Can they wait until I graduate in May to take me on as a Retention student? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!
At this point in the process, you should tell your office to be looking for your application right now. They cannot pick you up as a retention because you had to apply as recruitment candidate. Your office will have to move fast on it if they really want you, because of how late in the review process it is. One other issue is that your office is required to already have a plan for x number of years in the future that says they need a billet to be filled by someone of the degree you are pursuing.