Eligibility with non-STEM undergrad degree?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
ls3en

Eligibility with non-STEM undergrad degree?

Post by ls3en »

I graduated from college with a B.A. in environmental studies, then went on to get an associates in engineering. I am now in my second year of a PhD program in civil engineering. On the application there is no way to list a non-STEM degree under "degree pursued" in the academic background section (only an option for a B.S.).

Does having a B.A. affect my eligibility, even though I am currently enrolled in a STEM graduate program? Should I just leave the "degree pursued" section blank, or list B.S.?

Thanks!

GradSTEM

Re: Eligibility with non-STEM undergrad degree?

Post by GradSTEM »

It does not directly affect your eligibility. As long as you meet the OPM standards for whatever job the sponsoring facility needs you to meet and your current degree is in one of the STEM fields it shouldn’t be a problem. Do NOT lie about yout degree. Don’t put that you had a B.S. when you got a B.A. I’d leave it blank if you can.

My undergrad was more business than STEM but I’m in a STEM graduate program. I’ll work at my sponsoring facility in the math department. So far it hasn’t been an issue. The requirements for the job are opensource, just google it. Hope this helps!

ls3en

Post by ls3en »

Ok, great. I know I want to work for USACE, but I'm not sure what job they would want me to do. I've identified some specific things they work on to mention in my application, but I could go either a research or implementation route. How would you recommend I look up job requirements for someone in my position?

GradSTEM

Post by GradSTEM »

Try going to USAJobs and typing in the facility/faciiities you want to work for. Look up a few different positions that you’d like to do and see if you meet the requirements. If the specific facility doesn’t have that job, you can still look at the name of the position and requirements elsewhere usually with little variation. So if you want to be a civil engineer, look up civil engineering positions at the facility and make sure you meet that. From there you can also double check on OPM’s website (google OPM civil engineering requirements).

Be careful getting your heart set on a particular facility or program. Programs at facilities have been known to get cut and the scholar still owes the program. My facility was chosen for me even though my application mentioned very specific things elsewhere. I live in an urban, heavy military area, (right next to tons of SMART facilities, 3 that were my top choice) but my facility is across the country. I applied to work in one STEM discipline but my facility doesn’t have that (ones I picked did) so I had to compromise there. Admittedly I’m a little bitter but for the application, just do what you can and I’m sure they will put you where you are needed. Again, good luck!

ls3en

Post by ls3en »

Interesting. Great advice, thanks.