BREAK MY CONTRACT

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Devon Jones

BREAK MY CONTRACT

Post by Devon Jones »

I'm about to enter Phase 2 and I would like to work in ministry at a non profit organization.
But Im restricted to do so because of this 1.5 year contract.
I want out of it...can someone help me transition smoothy with this process

Donotdoit

Re: BREAK MY CONTRACT

Post by Donotdoit »

Devon Jones wrote:I'm about to enter Phase 2 and I would like to work in ministry at a non profit organization.
As a fellow person of faith, a SMART scholar and a family member to loads of ministry professionals, I advise you to finish your contract with SMART. Let’s be honest- ministers aren’t called to work for the paychecks. If you leave the SMART program, you have to repay your tuition, salary/stipend, health and supplies allowances and whatever else. A ministry professional at a non-profit will struggle to repay the government money SMART invested in you.

Is there a way to find something (church, non profit) with a similar mission to the one you want to work for near your SF? You could volunteer on the side until your contract is up. A year and a half of delay isn’t worth crippling debt.

I’ll pray for your guidance!

MoreToThinkAbout

Post by MoreToThinkAbout »

Donotdoit wrote:
Devon Jones wrote:I'm about to enter Phase 2 and I would like to work in ministry at a non profit organization.
As a fellow person of faith, a SMART scholar and a family member to loads of ministry professionals, I advise you to finish your contract with SMART. Let’s be honest- ministers aren’t called to work for the paychecks. If you leave the SMART program, you have to repay your tuition, salary/stipend, health and supplies allowances and whatever else. A ministry professional at a non-profit will struggle to repay the government money SMART invested in you.

Is there a way to find something (church, non profit) with a similar mission to the one you want to work for near your SF? You could volunteer on the side until your contract is up. A year and a half of delay isn’t worth crippling debt.

I’ll pray for your guidance!
To add on to what this poster said, you may also be able to find (or create) opportunities at your SF to do the type of work you are being called to do as a part of your work duties. I considered breaking my agreement to follow my calling, but decided I would try to make it work. Once I was at my SF, I was able to find all sorts opportunities related to DoD programs where I could pursue my calling, while also fulfilling the service commitment. Its now reached the point, where I might be staying after my commitment is over. You won't be able to spend all day every day doing it, but even if you find little ways to put 10% of your time at work towards it, it might be better that indebting yourself.

The other thing is, payback is prorated. If you say to yourself, "I'm going to give this a try for 6 months," when that time is over, you will have reduced your debt by 33%. If you make it a year you are down to 66%...

justSayin

Post by justSayin »

Of course I don't know you and your exact situation but here are some thoughts that might help:

1.5 years isn't that long. I obligated myself to teaching high school for that long because of an undergraduate scholarship. I did my time and now I'm doing what I enjoy. Also, if you want to go into ministry, you are probably going to need some cash. Work that 1.5 years and save up as much money as possible. It would be much better to go into the ministry with a net surplus of saved money than with a big debt (I'm assuming your SMART debt will be at least around 40k with everything added in). Also, make sure you really really want to go into ministry. I was part of a campus ministry as an undergraduate so a lot of my friends went to seminary schools for various degrees afterwards. Many of them left within a year or two because they realized that while they did feel called to ministry they didn't need a degree in it or to necessarily work for an openly religious organization. Now they are pursuing secondary degrees and other jobs and getting involved in their local churches.

Good luck with the decision!

SMARTguy

Post by SMARTguy »

Unless they are asking you to do something immoral or illegal, I would encourage you to fulfill your contract.

Something helpful might be Colossians 3:23, Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.

I don't know about your specific faith, but, in general, I think the concept of breaking a contract goes against what is said in the bible.

Covenant breakers/oath breakers

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NLT
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV

Ecclesiastes 5:5
It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not pay.

Romans 13:7
Pay to all what is owed to them

Psalm 37:21
The wicked borrows but does not pay back

Mememe

Post by Mememe »

You dont have a 1.5 year contract. You have a two year contract. It rounds up.
If they paid 1.5 years of your school, that will count as two academic years for the purposes of your contract.
-current smart scholar

Post by Guest »

Mememe wrote:
You dont have a 1.5 year contract. You have a two year contract. It rounds up.
If they paid 1.5 years of your school, that will count as two academic years for the purposes of your contract.
-current smart scholar
That is not true. I have a contract for x.5 years with SMART, and they do not round it up. This happens if you are planning on graduating in December instead of May.

-also current smart scholar