/NEW/ SAT Scores

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
eppcee

/NEW/ SAT Scores

Post by eppcee »

Hi I'm currently a sophomore in college. In high school I took both the "old" and the "new" SATs, so I was wondering which ones I should send. Generally, my "new" SAT score is a little higher than the old one, but the new SAT no longer has the writing section out of 800, but an essay score out of 8 (?). Should I just send both? What do you suggest I do?

WhatIWouldDo

Re: /NEW/ SAT Scores

Post by WhatIWouldDo »

eppcee wrote:Hi I'm currently a sophomore in college. In high school I took both the "old" and the "new" SATs, so I was wondering which ones I should send. Generally, my "new" SAT score is a little higher than the old one, but the new SAT no longer has the writing section out of 800, but an essay score out of 8 (?). Should I just send both? What do you suggest I do?
Assuming SMART doesn't specify which they want, I think it is completely up to you. It sounds like you only did a little higher on the new version? If that's the case, I would include both because it will bolster the meaning of the scores by showing consistency. If you were only going to send 1 set, I would tend towards the new version. Not only does that put your best foot forward in terms of scores, but is designed to be a better metric.

Anecdotally, when I applied as a sophomore in college, I didn't include any SAT scores, so I don't think you can make the wrong choice.

Yourchoicethough

Re: /NEW/ SAT Scores

Post by Yourchoicethough »

When I applied, sophomores (since you already have your transcripts from freshman year) don't have to submit SAT scores (I didn't submit mine when I applied as a sophomore). If you don't have to and your scores aren't something to brag about I wouldn't. Sending in your scores should only help you if they're high enough. If they aren't, I wouldn't advise it.