Question about eligibility for the smart scholarship

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Engineer27

Question about eligibility for the smart scholarship

Post by Engineer27 »

So, I’m very interested in the smart scholarship in order to pursue my graduate degree in electrical engineering. But I have a question, and that is, I am a recent bachelors graduate and currently hold a civilian DoD position. In order to apply for the scholarship do I have to enroll in a school and start my graduate course of study before applying for this scholarship?

RecentScholar

Re: Question about eligibility for the smart scholarship

Post by RecentScholar »

You do not need to have already started your degree, but you should at least be in the process of applying. The application deadline is in December and scholarships are awarded in April/May. They expect you to be enrolled for the fall following your award.

I was waiting to hear back from my university of choice (the university I listed in my SMART application) when I found out that I received the scholarship. I was lucky that I was accepted at my university before all of the paperwork for the scholarship was due.
One thing to consider: you do need to inform SMART what university you plan to attend. If you get a SMART scholarship and do not get into the university that you listed, you will have to apply for an award adjustment. SMART has the option to reject your award adjustment and essentially rescind their offer.

Guest1234

Re: Question about eligibility for the smart scholarship

Post by Guest1234 »

Engineer27 wrote:So, I’m very interested in the smart scholarship in order to pursue my graduate degree in electrical engineering. But I have a question, and that is, I am a recent bachelors graduate and currently hold a civilian DoD position. In order to apply for the scholarship do I have to enroll in a school and start my graduate course of study before applying for this scholarship?
You will also have two options when you apply. As recruitment or retention. If you like your current office and want to do your commitment there, you can do retention but will need a letter of support from your office. You don't have to be currently enrolled in school, just accepted for the coming fall semester for the award.