Research...

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Research...

Post by Guest »

So I am a freshman in college this year, and I hail from a town with a population of 300. As much as I have wanted to work on research projects related to my field of interest (electrical engineering) this is something that I have not been able to do yet. One reason being because the closest town of any considerable size is almost two hours away. The other reason is that I am coming from a fairly poor family so I have always had to work during the summer and I have never had the opportunity to go work unpaid on a research project. Probably the closest thing to research is that I pioneered, formed, and captained my highschool FIRST robotics team, which came in 12th out of 60 some our first year. I then mentored it my first year after graduating (last year) and we came in 5th. I don't really know if any of that is important or not, but yeah...

I write this looking for advice for a first semester freshman (though I will be a sophmore credit wise come next semester) with no research background. So any advice or tips you have to me applying would be greatly appreciated.

JimM

Re: Research...

Post by JimM »

I have no research experience going into this either. I am riding on a very strong career history which I hope will suffice. I have also been successfull in college as well, but with a full time job there has not been a lot of time for research.
I am also wondering how important the prior research experience is going to be. If I recieve the scholarship I will be able to complete a lot more than in my current situation.

Post by Guest »

From everyone I've talked to, prior research isn't expected until post graduate level applicants. While I'm sure it doesn't hurt, they don't see it's necessary until you're a Doctoral candidate.

RUchemE

Post by RUchemE »

I'd have to agree with the above post. Research is mainly for graduate students, as freshman it'd be difficult to get that sort of opportunity.

Post by Guest »

Since research experience isn't expected until the graduate applications, how much of a boost is it for undergrads? (Say a current sophomore).

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

I don't know the point system, but I would say significant.