No award but got job offer

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Denali12

No award but got job offer

Post by Denali12 »

To sum it up, I was contacted/interviewed by a facility who seemed very interested. After I found out I didn't get the award I reached out to them and they seemed disappointed I didn't receive it. They even called me a couple weeks ago and offered me a job for this summer and said they'll line a job up for me for may 2019 (when i graduate with my master's). I have a 3.9/4.0 gpa and very good rec letters. Im super excited because I actually applied for this scholarship to get a job in the government anyway-the money would've been another great thing, but i thought it was strange i didn't get the award. Is it common to get job offers from facilities and not get the award?

MyAdvice

Re: No award but got job offer

Post by MyAdvice »

Denali12 wrote:To sum it up, I was contacted/interviewed by a facility who seemed very interested. After I found out I didn't get the award I reached out to them and they seemed disappointed I didn't receive it. They even called me a couple weeks ago and offered me a job for this summer and said they'll line a job up for me for may 2019 (when i graduate with my master's). I have a 3.9/4.0 gpa and very good rec letters. Im super excited because I actually applied for this scholarship to get a job in the government anyway-the money would've been another great thing, but i thought it was strange i didn't get the award. Is it common to get job offers from facilities and not get the award?
I don't know that its common, but certainly not unheard of. Each facility is allotted a certain number of SMART picks, so it is possible while the specific team you will be working with REALLY wanted you, other teams' picks were selected over you at that facility. Similarly just because a facility selects you does not guarantee SMART will award you the scholarship. Congratulations!