What now?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Drakester

What now?

Post by Drakester »

I know that many of you have applied several times to the scholarship. Last year was my first time and I made it through the first round of selections. I was contacted by 1 facility and I was not selected.

I want to reapply, but how do I go about doing this? Do I use the same essays that I used last year and the same letters of recommendation? It was very difficult getting them last year, so I am just trying to get an idea of what I will need to reapply.

Thanks for the input!

MyAdvice

Re: What now?

Post by MyAdvice »

Drakester wrote:I know that many of you have applied several times to the scholarship. Last year was my first time and I made it through the first round of selections. I was contacted by 1 facility and I was not selected.

I want to reapply, but how do I go about doing this? Do I use the same essays that I used last year and the same letters of recommendation? It was very difficult getting them last year, so I am just trying to get an idea of what I will need to reapply.

Thanks for the input!
If it is feasible, contact the facility that showed interest in you and ask about becoming a pathways intern or ORISE scholar during the fall. Both of these are low commitment ways they can "try you out," before committing to you with a full SMART award. A lot (if not the majority) of SMART awards are given to students who have already worked at the sponsoring facility that picks them. You want to find a way to make yourself a proven entity.

To answer your question, I would reuse as much as you can, at least as a foundation to update and refine for your second attempt.