security clearance

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
flordearcoiris

security clearance

Post by flordearcoiris »

I am wondering if I will be denyed security clearance because I did a lot of traveling when I was younger, about 8 to 14 years ago. I traveled to places like Indonesia, Venezuela, and Central America. I also married a guy from Mexico, but got a divorce earlier this year. I have obtained clearence to work on a military base in the past, but it took them a really long time to get me cleared. On the last background check I had recently, a minor traffic conviction came up (failure to obey a traffic sign). I am also a dual citizen with Mexico, which I am willing to renounce to and my boyfriend is from Uzbekistan.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Will all this impair my security clearance?

Thanks!

RUchemE

Re: security clearance

Post by RUchemE »

It'll probably just take longer than usual, they have to look into more and probably ask for an interview. I used to have dual citizenship with Poland, and eventually got cleared after some time.

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

Like RUChmE said, it will probably take longer, and I doubt you'll be denied.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the responses!

Mikebirkhead

Post by Mikebirkhead »

Make sure you clean up your facebook/myspace nice and neat. Be sure to discard all friends that make you look bad and anything else you need to do. Sometimes things take time because of deliberation. If you're taking time to process it's because someone doesn't feel easy about giving you a clearance and because of that they want to dig deeper.

Some things automatically require digging deeper, some things are subjective and based on the reviewers opinion.

Kepulli

Post by Kepulli »

Is an Sf86 still required if you already have an existing clearance?

Post by Guest »

Depends on what level of clearance you have. If you have an active clearance all the have to do is transfer ownership, but if they have to do ANY investigation then the one is required. That includes if you don't have the right secret level. There are to different kinds of secret (can't remember the designators), one they do for military members, and one they do more for civilian positions. Strangely enough the civilian one is the more stringent.

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

Kepulli wrote:Is an Sf86 still required if you already have an existing clearance?
It depends. There are multiple different kinds of clearances. A contractor security clearance is not the same as a DoD clearance and many places will not take it. At Edwards, contractor clearances and those initiated by another service are not accepted for new employees. However, they do accept the clearance through SMART.