SMART Award Deadline Extension?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
walter

SMART Award Deadline Extension?

Post by walter »

I know that the award deadline is today, but would it be possible to get an extension? 2 weeks is a rather short amount of time, and the graduate program I am looking at is still in the works.

Or, are you able to accept the SMART Scholarship now, and then potentially decline over the next few weeks? Would there be any issues with this?

currentsmart

Re: SMART Award Deadline Extension?

Post by currentsmart »

You accept now, but it isn't really a full acceptance until after the site visit. Both you and he SF have to agree its a good fit. Also, you don't have to know exactly what program you will be in until the semester starts.

currentsmart

Post by currentsmart »

currentsmart wrote:You accept now, but it isn't really a full acceptance until after the site visit. Both you and he SF have to agree its a good fit. Also, you don't have to know exactly what program you will be in until the semester starts.
Also, if you live more than 50 miles away, you get travel funds for the site visit. If you decline, I would be sure you could still pay those back just in case.

walter

Post by walter »

currentsmart wrote:You accept now, but it isn't really a full acceptance until after the site visit. Both you and he SF have to agree its a good fit. Also, you don't have to know exactly what program you will be in until the semester starts.
Oh, really? That may be a relief. Are you sure that it would not reflect poorly if I did back out later? Or is this not too uncommon such that it would be amicable?

currentsmart

Post by currentsmart »

I'm honestly not sure, they might not be too happy if you decline later in the summer. I would weigh your options carefully and decide. But, if you don't have your program lined up just yet, it doesn't mean you can't accept.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

It doesn't reflect poorly on anything other than possibly the SMART scholarship itself. Which if you drop out I assume you're never applying for it again so that shouldn't matter. There is a form after your site visit which you fill out and can drop out no questions asked. As far as I know you don't have to pay back the travel funds (as long as you actually showed up to your SF and didn't just lie about it)