picking locations/including in summary of goals

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Jason

picking locations/including in summary of goals

Post by Jason »

I am a 2nd year graduate student in applied mathematics.

Talking to advisors and browsing forums has advised me to pick my preferred locations according to my research. Everyone says this, but what does it mean exactly? Should I look for a place with "mathematics" as a stem field or should I go deeper and look for a location that does smart material research with an emphasis on building satellites out of membrane mirrors which is my research area? It has been very difficult for me to go to the location websites and determined EXACTLY what they research--other than "mathematics, aeronautical engineering, chemical engineering" etc.

What is the best way to go about this?
Thanks,
Jason

Re: picking locations/including in summary of goals

Post by Guest »

I'm also an applied mathematician. You can infer a lot from the general facility and the fields they're recruiting. For example, you would probably want to go into one of the space centers for what you want, and not one of the medical research facilities. Wikipedia actually has a lot of information about these places, take a few hours and look them up.

-Chris

Post by Guest »

Just so you know, at-least for the 2010 year, not every facility listed actually participates in the SMART program. I talked to several different facility representatives at orientation that told me this. I'm sure the number number of facilities actually participating (actively picking applicants) will increase over time, but I'd look at the list of past awardees and see what facilities are picking people from your field.

ehilge

Post by ehilge »

Jason wrote: Should I look for a place with "mathematics" as a stem field or should I go deeper and look for a location that does smart material research with an emphasis on building satellites out of membrane mirrors which is my research area?
I would try to go a bit deeper than just the listed STEM fields. I've had trouble with this myself. I think a fair compromise would be to make sure the facility does some type of space system design and research. With some luck they might be involved in your research area but at least your background in satellites might be appealing regardless.
Guest wrote:Just so you know, at-least for the 2010 year, not every facility listed actually participates in the SMART program. I talked to several different facility representatives at orientation that told me this. I'm sure the number number of facilities actually participating (actively picking applicants) will increase over time, but I'd look at the list of past awardees and see what facilities are picking people from your field.
hmmm, well thats not exactly what I wanted to hear. Where is this list that you mentioned. The only info I could find on past awardees is the year, school, and branch (Army, AF, or Navy). Is facility specified somewhere?

Post by Guest »

I can't seem to find the one I was thinking about, however; that one will still serve well. Basically notice that there are very, very few that were picked up by DoD (other) facilities, while the Navy had a lot. I don't know exactly who isn't participating, and I'm sure that will change as the program matures just keep that in mind.

erth2rst

Post by erth2rst »

Does it do any good to list a facility that isn't one of the designated sponsoring facilities? The DoD Microsystems Technology Office seems better aligned to my research interests than the listed facilities. Would listing the MTO as an "other" choice provide any chance for that facility to see me or would it be a waste of a preference?

Post by Guest »

erth2rst wrote:Would listing the MTO as an "other" choice provide any chance for that facility to see me or would it be a waste of a preference?
I think it is likely a waste. I was interested in listing the Space Development and Test Wing of the Air Force (SDTW). They didn' t list any STEM fields so I emailed the air force contact about what fields that facility is looking for. He replied and said that SDTW is not participating in the SMART program at this time. I later noticed that SDTW is not listed under the preferences. I also looked at a couple of other facilities that didn't have much info listed and they weren't on the list either. So I made the conjecture that any program not listed is not participating in the program this year. I never did clarify that with anyone at the SPO though so it is still purely a guess, you can draw your own conclusion. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what one would list in the 'other' section