Follow on award summer internship

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Smart16navy

Follow on award summer internship

Post by Smart16navy »

I applied for a follow on award from my current undergrad award. I want to pursue a masters degree. My question is when should we know the award decisions because I either have to go to work or sign up for classes this week. Also is there an internship the summer between awards because I feel like I can’t get all the paperwork in in time to have an internship this summer.

GuEsT0102

Re: Follow on award summer internship

Post by GuEsT0102 »

Smart16navy wrote:I applied for a follow on award from my current undergrad award. I want to pursue a masters degree. My question is when should we know the award decisions because I either have to go to work or sign up for classes this week. Also is there an internship the summer between awards because I feel like I can’t get all the paperwork in in time to have an internship this summer.
Award notifications are scheduled to go out in the next couple of weeks.
You would not intern until summer 2019.

wannabephd

Post by wannabephd »

Smart16navy I would suggest you go ahead and register for your classes. You can always drop your classes without penalization before the semester starts. That way if you do get extended and are expected to intern this summer, your coursework is still locked in without possibly having to fight for a seat in a needed class. And if you don't get extended and have to go straight into work, you're not penalized for dropping the courses.

Smart16navy

Post by Smart16navy »

Thank you both! Very helpful information!

FromExperience

Post by FromExperience »

GuEsT0102 wrote:
Smart16navy wrote:I applied for a follow on award from my current undergrad award. I want to pursue a masters degree. My question is when should we know the award decisions because I either have to go to work or sign up for classes this week. Also is there an internship the summer between awards because I feel like I can’t get all the paperwork in in time to have an internship this summer.
This is wrong. Since it is a follow-on award you will have an internship this summer. I did the same thing and had an internship. You will file the internship request after getting notified, it will be processed fast enough. I was able to start my internship within 2 weeks of getting notified.

As someone else suggested. Register for class assuming you've got it.

FromExperience

Post by FromExperience »

Also, if your degrees are conferred separately (you fully graduate with BS before pursuing MS), make sure SMART bumps you up to the Master's stipend amount in August.

Smart16navy

Post by Smart16navy »

FromExperience wrote:
GuEsT0102 wrote:
This is wrong. Since it is a follow-on award you will have an internship this summer. I did the same thing and had an internship. You will file the internship request after getting notified, it will be processed fast enough. I was able to start my internship within 2 weeks of getting notified.

As someone else suggested. Register for class assuming you've got it.
Last summer it took me 3 months to get my eqip approved, 2 months to get security approved at my SF AND 3 weeks into my internship I finally got a CAC. And I’ve been interning with the government for 5 years now. Does that mean I’ll have to start my internship in the middle of the summer or is there a way to bypass all of that paperwork?

FromExperience

Post by FromExperience »

Smart16navy wrote:Last summer it took me 3 months to get my eqip approved, 2 months to get security approved at my SF AND 3 weeks into my internship I finally got a CAC. And I’ve been interning with the government for 5 years now. Does that mean I’ll have to start my internship in the middle of the summer or is there a way to bypass all of that paperwork?
If you were a SMART student last summer, they will reuse the approved eqip and you should already be approved by security. The wait for a CAC generally varies from 0-4 weeks, but if your eqip and security approval are in order, it will not take long. I managed it in 3 days last year.

My recommendation is that as soon as you are awarded your follow-on award you request the internship request form from LMI.