Biochemistry Locations

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Biochemistry Locations

Post by Guest »

Hey. I'm very interested in working for the dod, and the whole scholarship thing just makes it all the more exciting. Thought I'd ask what locations would be best for my odds of acceptance and would provide an awesome overall experience as a biochemistry major... I live in New Jersey, so the best option for me SEEMS to be the Picatinny Arsenal base.

I feel as though I do not have much of a chance anywhere though, as there seems to be a much larger focus on engineers and such... and the fact that I'm a biochemistry focus makes it even harder to get in than if I was just chemistry. Can anyone make me feel better? Haha...

Somewhat related... which would you say improves my odds: saying that my focus is Biosciences, or Chemistry?

Also... after you start your real job (assuming you get the scholarship), I'm curious as to how much room there is for movement up the gs pay schedule. I heard that you usually start at gs 8, but was curious if chemists (or similar positions) had the ability to increase their grades as well as their steps through raises and/or promotions.

I know it's a lot of questions, but I really appreciate your help with regard to any of them.

Re: Biochemistry Locations

Post by Guest »

Not to bump my own thread, but if someone could provide me with the tip of whether or not to apply as biosciences or chemistry, that would be more than enough.

In terms of research I'm doing, next semester I am going to begin doing research with the post-translational modification of proteins... i think it's much more "biosciences", but that is not necessarily what I would want to do if I was working for the DoD (obviously)... in general I'd like to think I'm more into the chemical aspects of biochemistry than the biological aspects, as intertwined as they are.