Picked by multiple SFs

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
GuEsT0102

Picked by multiple SFs

Post by GuEsT0102 »

If we are picked by more than one SF, will we have the option to choose which one we want? I have heard that it depends on the facility with the most pull, but I have also heard that we would get to choose. I have had interviews for four different positions, and a couple of them seem very promising.

CassM

Re: Picked by multiple SFs

Post by CassM »

From what I understand (I could be wrong, of course) if you are picked by multiple facilities LMI will chose which facility gets you and the other facilities will get their back up candidates.

Guest1234

Post by Guest1234 »

CassM wrote:From what I understand (I could be wrong, of course) if you are picked by multiple facilities LMI will chose which facility gets you and the other facilities will get their back up candidates.
I have no idea how LMI will handle it, but I was in this situation when ASEE was still running SMART. Essentially ASEE picked the facility and I had no input. As a side note, if you are the only person one of the facilities puts on their wish list... Well, you are going to get paired with that facility even if one of the other ones is a better fit.

GuEsT0102

Post by GuEsT0102 »

Guest1234 wrote:
CassM wrote:From what I understand (I could be wrong, of course) if you are picked by multiple facilities LMI will chose which facility gets you and the other facilities will get their back up candidates.
I have no idea how LMI will handle it, but I was in this situation when ASEE was still running SMART. Essentially ASEE picked the facility and I had no input. As a side note, if you are the only person one of the facilities puts on their wish list... Well, you are going to get paired with that facility even if one of the other ones is a better fit.

Well isn't that depressing. One of the positions has only one slot open. Thanks!

GooglyHeim

Post by GooglyHeim »

I was wondering this, too. My preference list changed immensely after the interviews. The position I'm most excited by is from a facility that I didn't even put on my preference list.

GuEsT0102

Post by GuEsT0102 »

Update: I spoke with one SF about this, and she said she only knew of one case where the person was asked to pick their SF. I just received a call from SMART today where they asked me to choose my top SF. So there are some cases where they would ask, and some where they wouldn't.

littlehope

Post by littlehope »

Since it seems to be a very rare occurrence but still happens, and this is an honest guess, maybe they only ask if two facilities rank you at the same spot. Cause that would explain the rarity and why if one ranks you higher then SMART will just pick that one but if there is a “tie” then they ask the candidate so that the likelyhood if them accepting the scholarship is higher since they were obviously a desired candidate.

Did they give you two SFs to pick between or have you choose from all four facilities you interviewed with?

GuEsT0102

Post by GuEsT0102 »

littlehope wrote:Since it seems to be a very rare occurrence but still happens, and this is an honest guess, maybe they only ask if two facilities rank you at the same spot. Cause that would explain the rarity and why if one ranks you higher then SMART will just pick that one but if there is a “tie” then they ask the candidate so that the likelyhood if them accepting the scholarship is higher since they were obviously a desired candidate.

Did they give you two SFs to pick between or have you choose from all four facilities you interviewed with?
I believe you're right. She did mention something about being ranked the same at different SFs. That's probably why its so uncommon to see.

When they called, they asked me what interviews I had, and which ones I thought went well, and which ones if any, didn't go well. After talking about my interviews, they asked me to rank my SFs based on where I would like to work. Fortunately, the interview that I felt like didn't go well, wasn't ranked in the top of my list. After that she said that the awards would go out in the next couple of weeks and that the call I received was not an award.