Do you have to go to school near the SF?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
thejakeizreal

Do you have to go to school near the SF?

Post by thejakeizreal »

I received a call on Friday asking if I would be comfortable moving far away for the internship (I will be a graduate student). I would definitely be okay with it because the SF is in a location I love, but none of the schools I applied to are in the area. Do you think my SF will require close proximity so I can work while I'm taking classes?

Guest1234

Re: Do you have to go to school near the SF?

Post by Guest1234 »

thejakeizreal wrote:I received a call on Friday asking if I would be comfortable moving far away for the internship (I will be a graduate student). I would definitely be okay with it because the SF is in a location I love, but none of the schools I applied to are in the area. Do you think my SF will require close proximity so I can work while I'm taking classes?
No. You do not have to live near the SF by any means. You only work for the SF during summers if you are a multi-year awardee.

Anxiouslywaiting

Post by Anxiouslywaiting »

No, but I've gotten the impression that locals, past or current employees are preferred... :/

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Anxiouslywaiting wrote:No, but I've gotten the impression that locals, past or current employees are preferred... :/
Current Employees (Retention applicants) will not be considered in the same way new employees (Recruitment Applicants) will be considered. They hire based on your geographic willingness. I.e. If you put your top three location preferences as California, Florida and Iowa SF's in that area are more likely to look at your application as they want to hire someone who will be happy to live around their facility long term. Thus someone applying for the program at an SF 10 miles from their college clearly is going to be happy in the area long term.

My SF did not interview anyone who didn't put down LA as one of their geographic preferences as it's somewhere that some people wouldn't be happy weather they liked their job or not.

Guest336

Post by Guest336 »

thejakeizreal wrote:I received a call on Friday asking if I would be comfortable moving far away for the internship (I will be a graduate student). I would definitely be okay with it because the SF is in a location I love, but none of the schools I applied to are in the area. Do you think my SF will require close proximity so I can work while I'm taking classes?
I go to school 11 hours from my SF as a recruitment student.