Any neuroscientists or psychologists?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
PC76091

Any neuroscientists or psychologists?

Post by PC76091 »

Hi all,

Jut wondering how many neuro grad applicants are there are and what your interests are.I’m not seeing a lot of us in this forum.

EliosHarg

Re: Any neuroscientists or psychologists?

Post by EliosHarg »

Hi, I am a graduating senior applying as a Ph.D. student in psychology, cognitive science, or neuroscience (recently accepted at UC Irvine, UC Davis, and VA Tech). I made it through to the semi-finalist round and have received my first sponsoring facility contact (phone interview next week).

My research interests are very broad, but mostly revolve around neuro-/psycho-linguistics, machine learning, computational modeling, and neural prostheses. My application outlined these interests.

Hope that helps! Glad to see another neuro/psych student on the board.

ClinicalNeuroPRISM

Post by ClinicalNeuroPRISM »

Hi,

Ignored my response on the other thread then since you listed your background here. Thank you for providing that information! I was the one who originally posted this thread, but now I created an account and changed my username.

Thanks

brain_zapper

Post by brain_zapper »

I've also applied under the Cognitive/Neural sciences program. I'm currently a 3rd year PhD student in a cognitive science program using transcranial magnetic stimulation as a technique to enhance brain function (specifically learning and memory) and that's my main proposal, but I've also worked with 3D motion capture analysis and with robotic exoskeletons. I haven't heard anything from any of the sponsoring facilities I applied to yet...have either of you heard anything yet, or know anyone who has gone through the Cog Neuro program? I'm interested to see what it's like working at a sponsoring facility in this department. From what I've been reading on the forum it's mixed reviews.

brain_zapper

Post by brain_zapper »

And by haven't heard anything yet, what I mean is I've received notice that I'm a semifinalist, but haven't gotten calls for interviews!

ClinicalNeuroPRISM

Hi there!

That is very cool. I’m also a third year graduate student. My proposal was along the lines of nutritional supplementation and microbiome analysis for stress related mental disorders. I am also a semifinalist, but I haven’t heard from anywhere either... I tried reaching out to a scientist who I would want to work with, who happens to be a SMART recipient, but I never heard back. Then today I emailed the actual facility to see if I could visit (risky), but so far nothing. I’ll leave it to fate from now on.

I’m also curious to know what it’s like to work for the neuro cog department at the DoD. It was one of my questions for the scientist I contacted. Hopefully someone will provide some insight in this forum.

Elios, how was your interview? And would you mind letting us know what facility it was ?

Thanks,
P

kmroose

Post by kmroose »

Hello all :) I am a PhD student in Applied Cognitive Science and Human Factors Psychology. Great to see some psychologists applying for this.

EliosHarg

Post by EliosHarg »

I mentioned this on another thread, but my interview was with NSWC-Crane. It seems to have went well. The two staff members who interviewed me were friendly, informative, and very open about living in Crane, IN (I am born and raised in California, so it would be an adjustment). They had some project ideas where I might fit (mostly at the overlap between cognitive science and cyber-security). It seems like an excellent fit and I hope that they recommend me for an award.

They were not on my preferred list. None of the three facilities on my list have contacted me (all 3 were ARL facilities).

ClinicalNeuroPRISM

Hi Elios,

That's great! I am glad your interview went well and it will be an adjustment (born + raised in Cali too and now I am in Illinois), but it will be well worth it.

I hope that Natick and either SPAWAR are just one of those places that don't conduct interviews. I would be happy to hear from anywhere really, but so far no luck.

Anyways, thanks for sharing!

P