Made it the the semi-finals!!

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Made it the the semi-finals!!

Postby sapperdoodle72 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:49 pm

I'm just curious about my odds moving forward. For example, what percent of the applicants made it to the semi-finals and how many from this pool will be awarded the final scholarship? If anyone has any idea it would be greatly appreciated!
sapperdoodle72

Re: Made it the the semi-finals!!

Postby kbl2017 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:59 am

sapperdoodle72 wrote:I'm just curious about my odds moving forward. For example, what percent of the applicants made it to the semi-finals and how many from this pool will be awarded the final scholarship? If anyone has any idea it would be greatly appreciated!

There is a scholarship stats page that said 14% of the total applicants receive the award last year (higher number than previous years). Another page I found last year said something along the lines of the semi-finalist round represents the top 50% of scholars.

So that means about 2,450 people applied last year. Top 50% would have been around 1,225 people and 343 of them got the scholarship. In 2016 around 2,665 people applied. Top 50% would have been around 1,328 people and 239 (or 9%) got the scholarship.

Last year was a weird case of extra funding came through part way through the process. We had a round of people receive the award over a week before another large round. I would guess that the original round was right around 9% just like 2016 then they were able to add on another 6% so I'd lean more towards 10% receive the scholarship.
kbl2017

Re: Made it the the semi-finals!!

Postby Jenngcarr » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:03 am

Is there any information on how many Freshman are awarded this scholarship? I know the chances are better if you are sophomore or above, but do Freshman ever get selected?
Jenngcarr

Return to General Questions and the Application