Has anyone heard anything? (Feb 2018)

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Hdfstudent18

Has anyone heard anything? (Feb 2018)

Post by Hdfstudent18 »

Anyone receiving calls, emails, or any kind of notification yet?

Fiora

Re: Has anyone heard anything? (Feb 2018)

Post by Fiora »

Just as a heads-up to this year's applicants, we will most likely not be hearing anything until next week (around Feb. 15 or so). I was able to access the SMART panelists' evaluation page earlier last month (now requires a username and password), and it said the evaluation process for Round 1 would take place between January 23 and February 7 this year. So I think it is fair to allow for another week in order for the scores for each application to be finalized. Hang in there!

guest555

Post by guest555 »

Just thought Id check in and see if anyone has heard anything or has an idea of when we should get the emails. They are really dragging it out this year.

GoHokies

Post by GoHokies »

I know somebody who works at a sponsoring facility and evidently the portal was supposed to open today for them to view applicants who made it past the first round... I emailed LMI a few weeks ago asking if they had a date for sending out emails telling applicants if they made it past the first round, and they replied saying that we should hear sometime in April. I’m not sure if they misunderstood my question, but it is possible that they’re doing things differently this year I suppose.

Fiora

Post by Fiora »

So it looks like my earlier prediction was incorrect, which I guess makes sense since the program is under new management this year. A real bummer - I was really hoping to be able to hear from them at some point this month.

Fiora

Post by Fiora »

Update: just called LMI. The person answering the phone said the official award announcements would be released in April, but they didn't have any further information about the semifinalist announcements that are typically made in February - just that they would "keep us updated." Guess this means we're stuck in limbo for now until further notice...

mr_broccoli

Post by mr_broccoli »

Emails just came out, was told that I made the semis!

Hdfstudent18

Post by Hdfstudent18 »

mr_broccoli wrote:Emails just came out, was told that I made the semis!
Same!

Fiora

Post by Fiora »

I made it to the semifinalist round too! Congrats everyone!!

codexhound

Post by codexhound »

Wow you guys are quick. I made it as well! Almost more happy that we finally heard something.

Post by Guest »

A some context for the uninitiated among us, getting the semifinalist email basically means that you are in the top 50% of applicants for your degree type (BS, MS, PhD), or so I've read in the past. But its still a low selection rate even for those of us who made it past this step, so try not to get your hopes up too much. (Just trying to be realistic)

gman7187

Post by gman7187 »

Hey guys, I didn't make it past the semifinals round and was wondering what your first semester GPA's were? I had a 3.88 and fairly good accolades. I am a freshman at Penn State. I am really sad and highly disappointed. Congrats to all who made it!

psu5016

Post by psu5016 »

gman7187 wrote:Hey guys, I didn't make it past the semifinals round and was wondering what your first semester GPA's were? I had a 3.88 and fairly good accolades. I am a freshman at Penn State. I am really sad and highly disappointed. Congrats to all who made it!
I am from Penn State and applied for this as a freshman with a first semester GPA of 3.29; I was selected as a semi-finalist, but did not receive the award. In addition, I used 3 of my high school teachers for the reference portion of the application.

psu5016

Post by psu5016 »

To follow up, I am now a sophomore with a 3.6 applying for the second time and also received notification of being a semi-finalist.

mr_broccoli

Post by mr_broccoli »

gman7187 wrote:Hey guys, I didn't make it past the semifinals round and was wondering what your first semester GPA's were? I had a 3.88 and fairly good accolades. I am a freshman at Penn State. I am really sad and highly disappointed. Congrats to all who made it!
That's a really strong GPA. What were your accolades if you don't mind me asking? I'm a CS major/math minor at NYU (first semester junior) with a 3.6 GPA but I had very strong professional experiences and extracurricular activities, fairly strong essays, and above average references

Post by Guest »

Just got the semifinalist email, I am a graduate currently enrolled in a Biochem PhD program with a 4.0 and a first-time applicant. Congrats all!

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Just got the semifinalist email, I am a graduate currently enrolled in a Biochem PhD program with a 4.0 and a first-time applicant. Congrats all!
Biochem PhD here too! 2nd time applicant. Was finalist both years. Curious as to what your SF preferences are. We don't have a lot of options from what I can see. Congratulations!l, by the way!

gman7187

Post by gman7187 »

psu5016 wrote:
I am from Penn State and applied for this as a freshman with a first semester GPA of 3.29; I was selected as a semi-finalist, but did not receive the award. In addition, I used 3 of my high school teachers for the reference portion of the application.
I used 3 references from high school as well. I’m an Aerospace Engineering major.

gman7187

Post by gman7187 »

mr_broccoli wrote:
That's a really strong GPA. What were your accolades if you don't mind me asking? I'm a CS major/math minor at NYU (first semester junior) with a 3.6 GPA but I had very strong professional experiences and extracurricular activities, fairly strong essays, and above average references
I’m an Aerospace Engineering major. I was valedictorian in High School. I’m an Eagle Scout. I had some professional experience at a local battery company (Deka/East Penn Manufacturing). I have significant leadership experience through scouting, was selected and attended a leadership camp, and was Vice President of NHS in High school. I played varsity soccer in high school, and was historian (class leadership) for my class (1 of 5 class officers). I’m not sure, perhaps my essays weren’t quality. I thought I had a good chance so I’m a little discouraged but I’ll try again next year.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

gman7187 wrote:
mr_broccoli wrote:
I’m an Aerospace Engineering major. I was valedictorian in High School. I’m an Eagle Scout. I had some professional experience at a local battery company (Deka/East Penn Manufacturing). I have significant leadership experience through scouting, was selected and attended a leadership camp, and was Vice President of NHS in High school. I played varsity soccer in high school, and was historian (class leadership) for my class (1 of 5 class officers). I’m not sure, perhaps my essays weren’t quality. I thought I had a good chance so I’m a little discouraged but I’ll try again next year.
I honestly wouldn't take it as a discouraging thing. You're a freshman - that means three years of funding as someone who really hasn't proven themselves yet. Your major also has a limited scope compared to a CS major who could work literally anywhere. So you could have just gotten bumped out by the fact the SFs arent hiring very many aerospace engineers this year!

I highly suggest reapplying next year as youll have a summer to get some more work experience and do a lot of research into your sponsoring facilities and make sure to include direct reasons for why you put them in your top 3.

For example I'm an Astro engineer and i put the Space and Missile Systems as one of my choices then talked about how it directly alligned with my chosen field and how their directorates lined up with my previous government internships. It helps them to justify why theyd choose you over 10 other engineers! It also shows them that you did a little research. (I suggest looking into SMC and Air Force Space command in general!)

gman7187

Post by gman7187 »

kbl2017 wrote:
gman7187 wrote:
mr_broccoli wrote:Hey guys, I didn't make it past the semifinals round and was wondering what your first semester GPA's were? I had a 3.88 and fairly good accolades. I am a freshman at Penn State. I am really sad and highly disappointed. Congrats to all who made it!
I honestly wouldn't take it as a discouraging thing. You're a freshman - that means three years of funding as someone who really hasn't proven themselves yet. Your major also has a limited scope compared to a CS major who could work literally anywhere. So you could have just gotten bumped out by the fact the SFs arent hiring very many aerospace engineers this year!

I highly suggest reapplying next year as youll have a summer to get some more work experience and do a lot of research into your sponsoring facilities and make sure to include direct reasons for why you put them in your top 3.

For example I'm an Astro engineer and i put the Space and Missile Systems as one of my choices then talked about how it directly alligned with my chosen field and how their directorates lined up with my previous government internships. It helps them to justify why theyd choose you over 10 other engineers! It also shows them that you did a little research. (I suggest looking into SMC and Air Force Space command in general!)
Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated. I will definitely apply again next year. I'm just going to try and work hard and network!